New Icons

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

s55
HandBrake Team

Re: New Icons

Post by s55 »

Looks good. You can post it to reviews.handbrake.fr
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Agreed, very nice. will await the patch on our review board.
jlacube

Post by jlacube »

Thanks all of you for your replies :-)

Since I'm based in HK right now (despite being French), I will prepare the patch tmr against the latest svn revision and submit it for review.

[EDIT]
Review submitted : https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/344/
[/EDIT]

Cheers

Jerome
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Just checking in to see if there are any updates from our icon contributors?

Don't worry, there isn't any rush ;)
cam

Post by cam »

My criticism WAS constructive. It was just extremely critical, for good reason. I can understand that you are upset when you clearly thought you were heading in a decent direction... but the things I am seeing in this thread are ridiculously amateur.

Sorry I offended you, but you should seriously consider what I am saying, as I can see that this project is 'about to fail'. I am happy to help. Or blog about it if you're not interested in my help.
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

2 posts on the forum and now a self-acclaimed expert!!! WTF!!!

Ban the SOB!!! Troll!!!
cam wrote:My criticism WAS constructive. It was just extremely critical, for good reason. I can understand that you are upset when you clearly thought you were heading in a decent direction... but the things I am seeing in this thread are ridiculously amateur.

Sorry I offended you, but you should seriously consider what I am saying, as I can see that this project is 'about to fail'. I am happy to help. Or blog about it if you're not interested in my help.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

cam wrote:My criticism WAS constructive. It was just extremely critical, for good reason. I can understand that you are upset when you clearly thought you were heading in a decent direction... but the things I am seeing in this thread are ridiculously amateur.
Wow, as a UI and branding "expert" I presume that the purpose of your posts is to solicit business, so please allow me to point out two flaws with your pitch.
  1. This is an open source project, staffed by "amateurs", and as such we don't have the funds to retain your services.
  2. Insulting a potential client is a very strange way to procure business.
About to fail? How so? Each release garners millions of downloads. Feel free to blog about it though, that's always constructive. ;)
meathead100

Post by meathead100 »

I've made quite a few adjustments to make sure it looks good on different backgrounds. This jpg reduces the image quality at the smallest size quite a bit.

courtny

Post by courtny »

Dang, you guys have been putting in work! I'm totally late to the party, but thought I'd check back in ~ http://dribbble.com/shots/734550-Handbrake
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

Love it! I much prefer the artistic style of that than of meathead's already popular entry; and the shapes are much closer to, if not exactly the same as, the current logo.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

courtny wrote:Dang, you guys have been putting in work! I'm totally late to the party, but thought I'd check back in ~ http://dribbble.com/shots/734550-Handbrake
I like the glass, but dislike the pineapple very much.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

While nice, we are pretty much set on meatheads and nikpawlak work.

Folks are still welcome to have fun with it though. Always fun to see what folks can come up with (and I suspect some folks may swap out icons themselves if they like it)
courtny

Post by courtny »

Yeah I worked on this silently when I had free time and never bothered to check back into the threads. 'Meathead100' did some good work, was really cool to come in here and see where others went with their versions. If anyone is interested I'll drop icon resources on my Dribbble page as a rebound. Regardless, was a fun side project for me and I was happy to work on it and give back to the community in spirit.

@Rodeo ~ Can you pinpoint why you dislike the pineapple "very much". I'm always open for constructive feedback, feel free to help a brother out!
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I also really like the glass. For me, the pineapple looks like a bunch of orange segments shaped like a pineapple with a pineapple top.

SC
Deleted User 11865

courtny wrote:@Rodeo ~ Can you pinpoint why you dislike the pineapple "very much". I'm always open for constructive feedback, feel free to help a brother out!
Looks like it's made of wax, which doesn't match the style of the other elements. And it really doesn't look like a pineapple, so I'm not sure de-waxifying it would be enough.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

The leaves are very good: but the body could possibly do with more detail or texture. And I guess it could be made slightly less orange and slightly more brown.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

New icons are implemented in the macgui. should be included on the latest nightlie.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/4989
Deleted User 11865

dynaflash wrote:New icons are implemented in the macgui. should be included on the latest nightlie.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/4989
Well, that's only the application icon for now. Toolbar icons will follow at a later date.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

I stand corrected.
cam

Post by cam »

Please please please move away from the pineapple cocktail concept. It doesn't fit with the app at all, and is at odds with the name of the app too. I can think of many different options that would be many times better (but I don't think it's really worth mentioning them, as I suspect this will all fall on deaf ears). I showed the app, icon, and name to a few colleagues (not all designers), and nobody liked the combination, or understood how you even came to choose them. This app could be huge with effective nomenclature and design.
Deleted User 11865

cam wrote:Please please please move away from the pineapple cocktail concept. It doesn't fit with the app at all, and is at odds with the name of the app too. I can think of many different options that would be many times better (but I don't think it's really worth mentioning them, as I suspect this will all fall on deaf ears). I showed the app, icon, and name to a few colleagues (not all designers), and nobody liked the combination, or understood how you even came to choose them.
Go to hell. We like the pineapple, for historical and other reasons. This is NOT up for debate.
cam wrote:This app could be huge with effective nomenclature and design.
Few if any of us care about HandBrake being "huge".
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

Another 4 post armchair expert!!! Do you just love 'em.

They honestly have no idea.

I totally agree with Rodeo's comments.
meathead100

Post by meathead100 »

I noticed that the Handbrake type treatment on the homepage looks like a neon sign and I thought, this really ties in with the drink icon pretty well. I threw this together for fun and thought you all might like to see it too.

s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Fwiw, I think we can drop the "Now with 21 essential...." and just replace it with the text at the side. "An opensource multi-platform video transcoder"

It actually kind of fits well, even if it stands out a lot. Interesting idea.

I may be standing out too much? *shrugs*
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

An extension on that idea, would be to have one or more of the letters "blown", i.e broken lights.
and maybe one hanging loosely. Old/retro kinda look.