New Icons

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

s55
HandBrake Team

Re: New Icons

Post by s55 »

The Start button just doesn't seem right to me, but I really dunno what you'd do with it.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

Possibly a solid circle or rounded square with the play symbol cut out of it? And it can be dark grey like the other icons.
nikpawlak

Post by nikpawlak »

I'll work up some alternates to the Start stop and pause buttons tonight. And post them here.
nikpawlak

Post by nikpawlak »

Here are some alternates for the Start, Stop and Pause buttons.
Let me know what you fellas think.
The top row are the same style as the rest of the icons.
The bottom row of icons are the ones currently in SVN
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

I like the first & third rows best.

Wouldn't it be possible to make them look a bit closer to the "Add to Queue" and "Show Queue" buttons though?
Pixelblitz

Ask Dave?

Post by Pixelblitz »

David Lanham already made a great app icon some time ago.
You can see it here (upper right image): http://iconfactory.com/freeware/preview/somaextra2
Maybe if you ask nicely, he might create a whole icon set :-)
Flo
Bright Spark User

Post by Flo »

Top row, but hollow perhaps?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I like the first & third rows best.

Wouldn't it be possible to make them look a bit closer to the "Add to Queue" and "Show Queue" buttons though?
Agreed on the first point.

I think the Add to Queue and Queue buttons look good myself. They are pretty close as-is. The problem with the old ones are the image is pretty complicated and these icons look better keeping it simple.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

hmmm am in the middle of rewriting the macgui preview window ... I am now at redoing the HUD controls ... a few of these might be quite nice in a HUD. :)
nikpawlak

Post by nikpawlak »

dynaflash wrote:hmmm am in the middle of rewriting the macgui preview window ... I am now at redoing the HUD controls ... a few of these might be quite nice in a HUD. :)
I was actually working on some controls for tw hid lastnight. I'll post them up when I get back to my computer.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

Here's what I had in mind for those three buttons, to fit with the rest.

jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

While I had Photoshop open, I had a go at trying to recreate some existing toolbar icons but in higher resolution (I quite like the look of the current ones, TBH).

Glenz

Post by Glenz »

jamiemlaw wrote:Here's what I had in mind for those three buttons, to fit with the rest.

Looks really good!
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

+1 to jamiemlaw's colored icons.
nikpawlak

Post by nikpawlak »

Here are a couple more ideas for the action buttons.

I was trying to give the Start Pause and Stop a diffrent feeling than the rest as their actions are a bit different, (they dont display other parts of the app) they are more direct action. The Pause would replace the Start once the queue was activated, like it does currently.

The second row are variations on jamielaw's idea, but weighted a closer to the rest of the icon set.
nikpawlak

Post by nikpawlak »

dynaflash wrote:hmmm am in the middle of rewriting the macgui preview window ... I am now at redoing the HUD controls ... a few of these might be quite nice in a HUD. :)
Here is what i was working on for the preview player controls.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

nikpawlak wrote:Image
Yeah, that second row is a little better than mine because they match up with the queue and source icons better.

I'll have a go at completing the coloured icon set over the weekend.

Edit: or even now. Well, here's Play and Pause at least.

Yeah, they're exactly the same as the current ones (or as close as I could get), just vectorised.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

@Nik Thanks, lots of good choices.

Personally, I like the the way the Green/Red on Back Play/stop ones draws attention to the primary controls.
The White on grey seem to do so as well although slightly less distinct.

Might be worth just including these in the set, and we can swap out if folks seem to have difficulties. I could just be overthinking it though.

We seem to have a lot of good talent here :) I never thought we'd be spoil for choice :)
Deleted User 11865

nikpawlak wrote:Here are a couple more ideas for the action buttons.
Hmm; just thinking out loud, but how about the same design as the second row, with the first row's color (for the start/pause/stop graphic, the circle would still be dark)?
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1738/handbrakeicons.png

The colour icons at 2x. Source and Presets are still missing; I think Picture Settings is a bit busy; but Preview is new.
Willem Kempers

Post by Willem Kempers »

Here are some greyscale icons I made to fit in with the mac ecosystem. They have the same colour-scheme as the icons in Aperture, are pixel perfect (thanks to the awesome pixel perfect precision handbook by ustwo) and fully scalable. :-)
They actually do consume a lot of my time (checking, rechecking, switching to Preview because Adobe hasn't updated PhotoShop to retina yet, brewing pixel-perfect, coming to terms that the icon you just made isn't good enough or a pixel off, going back go Illustrator, etc, etc), so I'd love some feedback if there is any interest in the other icons before I begin with them.
Attachments
greyscale icons.png
keso

Post by keso »

Can you use this?

Illustrator 8.0 http://cl.ly/013T2a2l1m2d 10.5MB
Deleted User 11865

Thanks, but IMO this looks waay too realistic.
Glenz

Post by Glenz »

Willem Kempers wrote:Here are some greyscale icons I made to fit in with the mac ecosystem. They have the same colour-scheme as the icons in Aperture, are pixel perfect (thanks to the awesome pixel perfect precision handbook by ustwo) and fully scalable. :-)
They actually do consume a lot of my time (checking, rechecking, switching to Preview because Adobe hasn't updated PhotoShop to retina yet, brewing pixel-perfect, coming to terms that the icon you just made isn't good enough or a pixel off, going back go Illustrator, etc, etc), so I'd love some feedback if there is any interest in the other icons before I begin with them.
This is looking really good!

Nice work!
jlacube

Post by jlacube »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to use this thread again regarding the osx dock icon, but since it's an icon, I thought why not...

I saw some previous trials and recommendation, so I came up with this :
ImageImage
Colors can be easily changed, impact in the code in minimum.

If feedback are good, I can submit the code asap for review, since everything is already coded (I mean it's not a mock-up in PS)

Cheers,

Jerome