Latest Build Feedback

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

mikecool493

Latest Build Feedback

Post by mikecool493 »

Guys,

I just compiled the latest build of HandBrake. I must say: WOW.

I's looking EXCELLENT.

It's finally coming together and looks like an actual Mac app.

Thank you for developing this app and keep up the good work.

If there was some way to donate to this project, I'd be more than happy to. I use HandBrake all of the time. :)
vandlism

Post by vandlism »

Speaking of latest builds, I just tried out 783 using the AppleTV settings. Curiously, my video came out to be 32767 x 362 pixels - yes you read that correctly. That's its normal size reported by Quicktime, but it says its format is 720x362. I tried the same chapter with default iPod settings and everything appeared normal.

The other thing I was wondering about is in the AppleTV and iPod presets, the CABAC entropy box is checked. Looking at the tooltips, it would appear that enabling CABAC would make the file incompatible with the hardware its supposedly preset for.
baggss

Post by baggss »

I'm going to keep bugging about this one.

Any luck with the Optical Drive issue? I'm grabbing 783 as I a type.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

vandlism wrote:32767 x 362 pixels
Already being worked on, may even be fixed by now (not checked).
vandlism wrote:Looking at the tooltips, it would appear that enabling CABAC would make the file incompatible with the hardware its supposedly preset for.
AppleTV supports cabac, with caveats. Rest assured that an incompatible preset would not be allowed to ship.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

I love how HandBrake gets one positive bit of feedback before the kvetching starts.

You checked out the development code, and there were bugs?!

I'm shocked.

You can complain about bugs *after* we release. There are absolutely *no* guarantees with the svn code.

Right from the wiki: "Refrain from asking for help using features or complaining about bugs in unreleased versions."

Or dynaflash, in the "Latest Build Issues" post I made a sticky in the Bugs forum *just to avoid threads like this*: "while we appreciate the info. we do not officially support anything but the public releases. builds out of the svn are prone to be at the very least, buggy. Use them at your own risk."

This is the development forum. Unless you've got a patch to *fix* a bug in the latest source, there is no need to post about it, especially when a cursory search of the day's irc log would have shown the issue was already known.

And people wonder why we don't offer nightly builds...
maestro371
Novice

785 works fine

Post by maestro371 »

Was dying to get a few DVDs encoded that I had the audio dropouts with. Build 783 gave me the 32767 pixel wide output, but 785 works like a champ and encodes those problem DVDs with no trouble.

Thanks for the great product!
SDJMcHattie

Where to download beta/SVN versions

Post by SDJMcHattie »

Hi, Sorry to ask a stupid question but where is everyone downloading these releases? Thanks
Utumno

Re: Where to download beta/SVN versions

Post by Utumno »

SDJMcHattie wrote:Hi, Sorry to ask a stupid question but where is everyone downloading these releases? Thanks
http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/CompileGuide
SDJMcHattie

Post by SDJMcHattie »

cheers
handbreakuser25

I cant get my builded PPC Handbrake to read DVDS

Post by handbreakuser25 »

I downloaded everything yesterday from the compile guide and everything worked well. I was able to get a handbrake compilation, and it runs and all but it wont read any of my DVDs. I redid it today with a new download i was unable to do so.
iBook G4 PPC 768 ram. Tiger 10.4.10
:cry: can anyone help me out what i did wrong?
It looks awsome by the way...just wish i could just get it to read DVDs.
I tried 3 DVDS that read fine on the beta1. It finds the DVD and all it reads them but says it cant find a source. It says opening new source and then no valid title found. Is it my drive or the compilation. I think its the 814.
blindjimmy

Re: I cant get my builded PPC Handbrake to read DVDS

Post by blindjimmy »

handbreakuser25 wrote:It says opening new source and then no valid title found. Is it my drive or the compilation. I think its the 814.
There is an issue with the decryption in the svn branch. Until it is fixed you can work around it by opening the dvd up in another app (VLC, DVD Player, etc.) first, and then opening it in HandBrake.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

blindjimmy wrote:There is an issue with the decryption in the svn branch.
Not for long, thanks to blindjimmy :)
fcmarriott

Nice work

Post by fcmarriott »

I also downloaded and compiled the svn as of last week. I must say, really good work on the changes. I haven't had a single problem yet.

You know, the unintended consequence of the Advanced Tab is going to start a whole big wide discussion about the virtue of one setting over another (in the advanced section).

Using the AppleTV preset and it is working great.

One quick question, in previous versions, if you changed anything from the preset (let's say to include double pass) then all the preset information was gone. It doesn't appear to do this anymore, is that correct? Can I just manually add the Dual pass and Turbo option to the AppleTV preset and it doesn't delete the Advanced Strings? Or is it best to just create a new preset?

I do really like the Turbo first pass option, too.

Thanks again for your work.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Nice work

Post by dynaflash »

fcmarriott wrote:One quick question, in previous versions, if you changed anything from the preset (let's say to include double pass) then all the preset information was gone. It doesn't appear to do this anymore, is that correct? Can I just manually add the Dual pass and Turbo option to the AppleTV preset and it doesn't delete the Advanced Strings? Or is it best to just create a new preset?
Correct, now it doesnt lose the advanced string or anything else when you change one thing.

So, you could click on AppleTV preset and check Two Pass and you are good to go, it will retain all of its other settings.

One note, when you upgrade to a newer rev. Be sure to go to Presets-> Update Built In Presets in the menubar to get the newest built in presets. Then it will regenerate the built in presets, but leave your custom ones alone.

You can also now set any preset as your default.
baggss

Post by baggss »

dynaflash wrote:
blindjimmy wrote:There is an issue with the decryption in the svn branch.
Not for long, thanks to blindjimmy :)
Please let us know (here if you can) when this is finished dynaflash. I'm still waiting to use a new version until this is fixed!
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Funny you should ask, I just committed it svn rev 821 :)