Minumum Mac OS for GUI

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

dynaflash
Veteran User

Minumum Mac OS for GUI

Post by dynaflash »

Hey, as I am working on my GUI for Mac a question arises: Do we need to have the gui stay Jaguar compatible?

Right now, the mac os gui is for the most part compatible back to 10.2 (well, with the exception of the 'hidden' properities for the que buttons, which only work for 10.3 and above). By going for a minum mac platform of 10.3 and above we can introduce Cocoa Bindings into the mix on the gui. This will not only make it much faster for adding features right now, but for future development.

I am torn on the decision. In general, I feel it is important to exclude as few users as possible, but at the same time, I feel HB needs to be able to take advantage of new technologies to stay at the forefront. It is my experience that this question comes along at some point to any project. I guess it is sort of like the BeOs question regarding rev71, although you could certainly argue that 10.2 has more users than BeOs.

The question is certainly appropriate as we will see early adopters likely moving to Leopard here in the next month or os, making 10.2 four major revs old.

By using taking advantage of Bindings we can definitly streamline the User Prefs Feature as well as many existing features moving forward and help accelerate future gui development from this point forward.

One other thought would be to, for the meantime, keep an older gui avail for those using 10.2 but with the benefits (particularly of h264 Level 3) of our current rev71.

Any Input, Thoughts or Opinions on this one?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Okay, I think it may be best to stay away from bindings for now. I will just work on the small additions and suggest we leave bindings to maybe a complete rewrite of the gui. That would be best in my opinion.

So, other than a couple of existing incompatibilites with 10.2 (which exist back into the titer days namely the Add to queu buttons) we will stay 10.2 compliant I think.