Wiki edit access rights

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

rogerdpack

Wiki edit access rights

Post by rogerdpack »

Hello all.
I asked this elsewhere and didn't seem to get a response [1] so re-posting here, and it does seem a dev related (docu related, at least).
What is the "preferred" way for edits to make to the wiki? I can't submit a pull request through github so I'm a bit lost.
What I want to do is add instructions for windows users on how to use libdvdcss.dll more easily, so they know it's possible [2].
Thanks!
-roger-

[1] viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21058
[2] viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21055
Deleted User 11865

Re: Wiki edit access rights

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Post your instructions on the forum. If someone thinks it belongs on the Wiki, it'll get added there (or linked to).
rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack »

Sounds great.

My edit would have been to add something like "or you can install libdvdcss.dll from another program, see instructions here" and link to viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16670#p78021 or something of its like.

Cheers!
-roger-
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's not something that is officially supported, so not something that is documented. I also don't want to have to deal with supporting this. It's really far better left to other applications.

Nice to know someone actually reads this stuff though :)
rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack »

Yeah, the only reason I think it would be good to mention is that handbrake on mac has a free option (VLC), but not so on windows, so it would help it gain more popularity perhaps.
Thanks!
-roger-
rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack »

I guess in retrospect, I had been hoping it could be supported in windows since it's already (apparently) supported in OS X. It would make the program accessible to a lot more people (who don't have the means or desire to buy AnyDVD I guess, myself for instance).
I'd be happy to chip in a few bucks toward it.
-roger-
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

Curiosity gets the better of me -- since I already own AnyDVD HD (and have for quite some time now) -- as Any is updated quite regularly in order to deal with new protection, etc. and there are notable disks that don't work until this happens (like Avatar) is using something like libdvdcss really an adequate substitute? If it isn't, I can certainly understand the devs here reluctance towards wanting to even mention it.

But if it IS, then I'm confused about why folks (like myself, I guess :>) will pay for AnyDVD (or even why it has to be updated all the time). What's the story here?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Speaking personally, I've yet to encounter a disc that didn't succumb to Handbrake using libdvdcss via the "Open Source (Title Specific)" option under OS X, but you may want to rip a DVD to something other than H.264...
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

Ah -- this is getting into areas that the uninformed (myself, again :>) probably don't want to venture (because I'm not sure I understand what you mean about "other than H.264" -- is that all Handbrake uses? Because Handbraking my DVDs/Blurays is all I really care about.

In any case, I already own Any do it's not like it will make any difference. As I said, I'm just curious (there's just too much information in this world for this old man to ever get a handle on).
rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack »

Rodeo wrote:Post your instructions on the forum. If someone thinks it belongs on the Wiki, it'll get added there (or linked to).
As OS X users on this page: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ have a link to this page:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23301

Suggest adding a corresponding link for windows too, to something like
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16670

Cheers!
-roger-
rogerdpack

Post by rogerdpack »

Could you please prompt us for windows to install dvdcss like you do with mac please? Suggest a link to a forum post since there's no one click distributable (or should I ask the VLC guys to release one of those?)
Why not help windows users like you already do mac users?

Also manual install might be easier if your had this in your dvdread contrib:
https://github.com/microe/libdvdread/co ... e691523247

Cheers!
-roger-
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The nightly builds have a more recent dvdread and dvdnav: http://git.videolan.org/?p=libdvdread.g ... hp=d0b00d9

We've been debating getting rid of the Mac prompt, so there's little chance this will get added to the Windows version, sorry.