[PATCH] [MacGUI] Add move options to Queue context window

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

rogue23
Enlightened

[PATCH] [MacGUI] Add move options to Queue context window

Post by rogue23 »

I've been using HandBrake quite a lot for the last 6 months, and have often had the need to move jobs around in the queue. Sometimes, point and click just works faster than drag and drop, so this patch adds two options to the Queue window context menu to move the selected job to the top or bottom of the queue. This doesn't quite work the way I want, but it is a start.

Feel free to do with as you please. Until today, I have never touched Objective C or Interface Builder.

http://paste.handbrake.fr/pastebin.php?show=2019
Deleted User 11865

Re: [PATCH] [MacGUI] Add move options to Queue context windo

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

I like the idea - though IMO it would make sense to have "Move Up" and "Move Down" buttons as well and/or instead.
rogue23
Enlightened

Post by rogue23 »

Here's one that includes options to move up and down, in addition to top and bottom.

http://paste.handbrake.fr/pastebin.php?show=2020

I want it to then select the job that was moved, but can't figure out how to programmatically select the job in the queue window. Also, if you have a job selected and then right-click on another job to move it up, down, etc, it moves the first job selected, not the one that was right-clicked.
rogue23
Enlightened

Post by rogue23 »

One more that adds the up/down functionality as buttons in the Queue window.

http://paste.handbrake.fr/pastebin.php?show=2021
Deleted User 11865

Looks like you may need to provide the icons you used: http://paste.handbrake.fr/pastebin.php?show=2035
rogue23
Enlightened

Post by rogue23 »

I have to fix the last patch I submitted last night. I broke the logic. I have another version of the patch I'll post in a bit.
rogue23
Enlightened

Post by rogue23 »

Here's a fixed version that allows you to move queue items through a context menu, the toolbar and individual item buttons. I've been toying around with the usefulness of it, and the toolbar buttons seem to 'flow' best for me. The context menu idea pretty much sucks.

http://paste.handbrake.fr/pastebin.php?show=2038

Here are the missing icons that I created for testing: http://www.mediafire.com/?bfc6padqk1lka13
Deleted User 11865

Your patch appears to work. Though I'm not sure the up/down icons on each line are necessary, especially considering how poor they look compared to the delete item icon.
rogue23
Enlightened

Post by rogue23 »

I left them there to test the different workflow. They're poor icons, I put them together very quickly as an example. I don't like having them there either.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Just patched and tested, works as advertised ... though probably if an item is already at the top it wouldn't have the option to "Move Up" or "Move to Top" since its already there. Same for the item on the bottom. That said it works fine. I see that if an item is encoding it cannot be moved, which is good. So if it cannot be moved the options shouldn't be available. Personally I am in favor of the contextual menu over the icons on the actual queue window but thats more personal opinion than anything. Looks decent otherwise.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Some further consideration ...

1. The toolbar icons are ok especially for now (easy enough to replace them with better artwork if need be but they will work for now provided the project has right to them ie. you didn't steal them from somewhere else). One note though, they should be disabled unless a queued item is selected.

2. I am not in favor of the up down arrows in the queue window for each item, one reason being space. Just my .02.

3. I am in favor of the inclusion in the contextual menu. Between that and the toolbar buttons it seems like enough. With the caveats stated above as far as the top and bottom queue items disabling the appropriate controls.

Otherwise nice job providing several different looks for discussion.
rogue23
Enlightened

Post by rogue23 »

dynaflash wrote:though probably if an item is already at the top it wouldn't have the option to "Move Up" or "Move to Top" since its already there. Same for the item on the bottom.
I have another version of the patch that cleans up some of these little details.
dynaflash wrote:Personally I am in favor of the contextual menu over the icons on the actual queue window but thats more personal opinion than anything.
Actually, I've found myself using both options at different times. One of the problems I had with the contextual menu is that if you used it on a second job, when you already had another job selected, it would operate on the first job, incorrectly. I've fixed that in an updated version.
dynaflash wrote:1. The toolbar icons are ok especially for now (easy enough to replace them with better artwork if need be but they will work for now provided the project has right to them ie. you didn't steal them from somewhere else).
No, I didn't steal them. I created them in about 30 seconds in Illustrator, and can certainly include the source files to ensure there's no question of origin. I didn't originally bother spending much more time on them, since I pretty much suck at creating icons, but when I've had a few spare minutes I've been trying to make them look a bit nicer.
dynaflash wrote:2. I am not in favor of the up down arrows in the queue window for each item, one reason being space. Just my .02.
Agreed.
dynaflash wrote:3. I am in favor of the inclusion in the contextual menu. Between that and the toolbar buttons it seems like enough. With the caveats stated above as far as the top and bottom queue items disabling the appropriate controls.
The biggest reason I like the toolbar buttons, is that it's easy to quickly move a job up or down a few spots, instead of right/option-clicking each time. While drag and drop works great moving jobs a few spots, when you have a large queue, it can be a hassle to get a job to drop in the right spot. I've had a few cases lately when I've had 70 or 80 jobs in the queue where the toolbar buttons have just worked easier for me.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

rogue23: Agreed on all accounts. If you want, post your latest and greatest with the latest icons and I will take a look. If all works as advertised I see no reason to not commit it. Thanks.