Matroska Support

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
*******************************
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

*******************************
Post Reply
resistor
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:44 am

Matroska Support

Post by resistor »

What is the status of Matroska support for HandBrake? I know some people have talked about implmenting it, but is anything happening/anyone actively working on it. If not, I'd be interested in taking a stab at it. I assume it would amount to implementing a muxmkv.c file, modeled after muxmp4 and muxogm?
User avatar
s55
HandBrake Team
Posts: 9805
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:05 pm

Post by s55 »

Afaik its only been looked at but nothing more.

Your welcome to join us in #handbrake on freenode irc and talk with the devs.
golias
Regular User
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:29 pm

Re: Matroska Support

Post by golias »

resistor wrote:What is the status of Matroska support for HandBrake? I know some people have talked about implmenting it, but is anything happening/anyone actively working on it. If not, I'd be interested in taking a stab at it. I assume it would amount to implementing a muxmkv.c file, modeled after muxmp4 and muxogm?
Out of curiosity, what is the draw of mkv? Isn't is just Yet Another Container format?
deckeda
Regular User
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:38 am

Post by deckeda »

http://www.matroska.org/

Now, as to what the appeal is, that'll depend on what your goals or priorities are (or aren't.)
jbrjake
Veteran User
Posts: 4805
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:38 am

Re: Matroska Support

Post by jbrjake »

golias wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the draw of mkv? Isn't is just Yet Another Container format?
Unlike mp4 or avi, it's fully open source.

Unlike mp4, it stores AC3 audio.

Unlike avi, it properly stores h.264 video with b-frames.

It supports chapters, menus, unlimited numbers of tracks, all sorts of things. It can handle lossless FLAC audio. It can handle pretty much anything.

It just happens to be a lot more complicated than something like .avi, and less supported than .mp4.
hawkman
Veteran User
Posts: 609
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Matroska Support

Post by hawkman »

jbrjake wrote:It just happens to be a lot more complicated than something like .avi, and less supported than .mp4.
That's the real problem - no portable devices support it. Although Perian is dragging MKV support kicking and screaming into QuickTime...

Anyone who wants to work on this gets a big thumbs up from me!
resistor
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:44 am

Post by resistor »

At least for me, the draw is being able to have both AC3 audio AND chapter marks. I really want both, but right now I have to choose one or the other when I select MP4 vs. AVI.
crashray
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:12 pm

Post by crashray »

You can download a GUI for Mkvmerge here : http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... lnix-2.zip

Image

I'm doing a website about Mkv files on mac : how to create, how to read, how to modify...
The website is in french (under-construction)
I'm looking for an english translation. I'm french and my english is not fluent.
If there is someone interested...
Last edited by crashray on Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbrjake
Veteran User
Posts: 4805
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:38 am

Post by jbrjake »

crashray wrote:You can download a GUI for Mkvmerge here : http://rapidshare.com/files/28396684/MK ... g.zip.html
...or you could just go to the official matroska site and download a copy that isn't absurdly out of date.

EDIT: looks like they redesigned the downloads section again, so mkvtoolnix isn't as easy to get to. Use this link: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... tml#macosx
mk2000
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:38 am

Re: Matroska Support

Post by mk2000 »

hawkman wrote:
jbrjake wrote:It just happens to be a lot more complicated than something like .avi, and less supported than .mp4.
That's the real problem - no portable devices support it. Although Perian is dragging MKV support kicking and screaming into QuickTime...
Yeah, those Perian guys rock! Just tried out their 1.0b2 with MKV support and it's really good (pretty subtitles, chapter support, etc.).

It even supports exporting/transcoding from mkv to another format from QT (subtitles included!).

mk2000
crashray
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:12 pm

Post by crashray »

Perian is able to read a MKV files ? http://perian.org/

You have a Matroska QT component here but it is very slow. Chapter support, different language support.

Edit : works great ! :P How could we choose subtitles ?
A link to download it.
mk2000
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:38 am

Post by mk2000 »

crashray wrote:Perian is able to read a MKV files ? http://perian.org/

You have a Matroska QT component here but it is very slow. Chapter support, different language support.

Edit : works great ! :P How could we choose subtitles ?
A link to download it.
On the anime fansub files I've tried it on the subtitles come on automatically (if there are subtitles to begin with).

My problem has been turning them off.

Actually, if you have Quicktime Pro and you look at the advance movie properties while the file is open, you will be able to look at the different streams available. You should be able to select/deselect the subtitle stream.

mk2000
crashray
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:12 pm

Post by crashray »

Perian doesn't support VOBSUB subtitle. The others works.
Post Reply