Trac roadmap defined

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

rhester
Veteran User

Trac roadmap defined

Post by rhester »

I've done some work on the Trac roadmap (http://handbrake.dynalias.com/trac/roadmap) to better define where I see things headed in the near, medium, and long-term futures.

Please take the time to review (and revise/clarify/expand, where appropriate) this roadmap and share your comments with the group. My word is not law in this regard, I just felt it time to try to more formally lay out the direction we're headed and have a framework to hang our ticketing hats on.

Thoughts/comments/rants?

Rodney
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Cool. Can we take from this that MediaFork is the name in the future, then?
As well, at what point do you see us changing the name on the website, etc. I assume between milestone one and two.

If so, are we inviting confusion as we get undoubtedly a ton of traffic to the site right after we release HandBrake 0.7.2, then during all of that traffic (undoubtedly a ton of support questions, remember the digg incident) we rebrand the site and support materials, etc. to "MediaFork" ?

Personally, seems cool to me, I just thought I would bring it up. I like it.
You really didnt have to make "ChickenSandwich" a part of HB history though ;)

BTW, Like the new look of the site improvements rhester.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

dynaflash wrote:Cool. Can we take from this that MediaFork is the name in the future, then?
As well, at what point do you see us changing the name on the website, etc. I assume between milestone one and two.
Assuming no better name surfaces, yes, we will be MediaFork. I dunno - it just has such a damned nice ring to it in so many ways, and it can mean so much or so little - I'm very hard-pressed to do better. And the imagery possibilities... =)

Yes, I had intended the change to happen after milestone one.
dynaflash wrote:If so, are we inviting confusion as we get undoubtedly a ton of traffic to the site right after we release HandBrake 0.7.2, then during all of that traffic (undoubtedly a ton of support questions, remember the digg incident) we rebrand the site and support materials, etc. to "MediaFork" ?
Well...possibly. But imagine the other scenario: We rebrand everything now, then release MediaFork 0.7.2 - and a whole lot of users are standing around going "what the hell is this - and why does it look EXACTLY LIKE HANDBRAKE?" I dunno...I see advantages and disadvantages to both approaches. Weigh in, folks!
dynaflash wrote:Personally, seems cool to me, I just thought I would bring it up. I like it.
You really didnt have to make "ChickenSandwich" a part of HB history though ;)
Wasn't my choice. Trac beaned it automatically, so I filled in the missing pieces. I'm sorry, but it really is a piece of our history I don't want lost. I thoroughly enjoyed that exchange. :)
BTW, Like the new look of the site improvements rhester.
Glad to hear it. They were initially experimental as I played around with different K2 styles, but I really do quite like it. I also really dig the one I've settled on for my own blog (http://multics.dynalias.com/), and it suits it much better than the HandBrake site. ;)

Rodney
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Definitely agree, 0.7.1 SE if released to the public, has to have the Handbrake name if we have the same gui look. Most downloads I would wager will be mac gui, so thats what they identify with.

Plus, I see you kind of "planted the seed" in respect to the upcoming fork and name change. Good idea, then most people will be expecting it.

Should someone create a branch for 0.7.1 SE specifically (I suppose from svn rev 48 as jbrjake suggested) so we have a base to work from for this release ?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

dynaflash wrote:Definitely agree, 0.7.1 SE if released to the public, has to have the Handbrake name if we have the same gui look. Most downloads I would wager will be mac gui, so thats what they identify with.
That's my thinking.
dynaflash wrote:Plus, I see you kind of "planted the seed" in respect to the upcoming fork and name change. Good idea, then most people will be expecting it.
I've discovered that we have a very talented group of developers that are like most - impossible to ever reach any sort of consensus. I took the approach of "pull the trigger and see if anybody shoots back" instead. :)
dynaflash wrote:Should someone create a branch for 0.7.1 SE specifically (I suppose from svn rev 48 as jbrjake suggested) so we have a base to work from for this release ?
That would be a very good idea, so long as rev 48 is "solid". At the very least, it should be compiled and regression tested as-is to make sure there are no horrible memory leaks and that things work as expected.

Rodney