Next Version Coming Soon?

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

fullerflyer
Novice

Next Version Coming Soon?

Post by fullerflyer »

At the risk of chastisement for not reading every post thoroughly, I'll ask anyway regarding the status of the next release.

There seemed to be a lot of talk about the next beta version coming out soon, but not so much over the past week or so.

Actually, the only feature I'm interested in/in need of is to have chapter break encoding for DVD ripping. Is there anyway I can do this now, with the builds that are available? I'm not a tech guru and I understand very little of much of what is discussed on here, but I check this site daily, waiting for the next release so I can start ripping my DVD's with chapter breaks.

Thanks
baggss

Post by baggss »

If you follow this guide you can pull the latest build daily if you want:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/CompileGuide
tsieden

Post by tsieden »

baggss wrote:If you follow this guide you can pull the latest build daily if you want:

Hi

thanks for this link I was trying b4 to install svn but failed now it worked and I compiled successfully handbrake on my Mac mini :D
fullerflyer
Novice

Post by fullerflyer »

baggss wrote:If you follow this guide you can pull the latest build daily if you want:

baggss, thanks so much! that was very helpful, and now I am up and running on the latest build.
JediRory

Post by JediRory »

Quick question - what about those users that are on Windows? The guide says that its mainly for Mac OX or Linux people....are windows users pretty much pooched?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You can compile on Windows, Its just beyond the capibility of most users.

Its a case of downloading CYGWIN, (about 1hr / 2GB disk space needed)
Downloading GCC4 compiler compileing and installing that from source (about 1hr to compile/install)
Download Jam and compile it from source, Install that.
Then you can compile handbrake.

Total process will take an average usera good few hours to setup to allow compiling
JediRory

Post by JediRory »

Thanks sr55....I've used Cygwin, but so rarely and so lightly I wasn't really sure what-all it was capable of. Mainly the only thing I've used it for was to provide an X11 service on a Solaris box and reroute the DISPLAy packets to a different monitor, lol.

I'll download cygwin on the server (wish it could go faster! ;) ) and then attempt what you suggested. Thanks, boss! Very big kudos, as usual, to everyone involved with Handbrake!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If you want to save the hassle with GCC4 and Jam theres pre-compiled Binaries of the libaries on the server.

So with your current install,
1. make HandbrakeCLI

Is the only thing you need to do and it'll download the pre-compiled gcc4 binaries needed. Saves around an hour of the compile time.

I do feel its still worth compileing them yourself because I don't always have time to keep the binaries on the server up to date. They are atm afaik.
JediRory

Post by JediRory »

Meh, I'll do it the hardway...how else am I supposed to learn this stuff. ;)

Thanks, boss!
JediRory

Post by JediRory »

Actually, I just noticed thisthread....doesn't that mean that the chapter stuff Cyander did is NOT in the latest SVN available for download/build?
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

JediRory wrote:Actually, I just noticed thisthread....doesn't that mean that the chapter stuff Cyander did is NOT in the latest SVN available for download/build?
Some of it is, some of it isn't. If you follow the threads (there are a couple) or look at the revision notes on trac, you'll be able to see what's in.