[Committed] He is Bob, eager for fun. He wears a smile.

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

tvperez

Re: He is Bob, eager for fun. He wears a smile. Everybody ru

Post by tvperez »

Thank you for the information.

The patch is here:
http://paste.handbrake.fr/pastebin.php?show=2667

I did include everything else (too lazy to separate everything else out). I will also post this in the review board.
tvperez

Post by tvperez »

I found that the patch I posted doesn't work for all scenarios. I found that in some cases, Detelecine seems to cause the Bobber to jitter. I found this has to do with the TFF frames being converted to BFF. I wonder if there is a simple way to detect when a frame has been changed.
tvperez

Post by tvperez »

I found the cause of the bobber issues with detelecine. It seems that Detelecine swaps the field-order from TFF to BFF when the pullup_pack_frame() method calls pull_copy_field. Normally, non-Yadif filter calls wouldn't have an issue with this, but the bobber requires a swap of field parity everytime it decombs duplicate frames. I will post a not-so-great solution that seems to work (in most cases).
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

tvperez wrote:I found the cause of the bobber issues with detelecine. It seems that Detelecine swaps the field-order from TFF to BFF when the pullup_pack_frame() method calls pull_copy_field. Normally, non-Yadif filter calls wouldn't have an issue with this, but the bobber requires a swap of field parity everytime it decombs duplicate frames. I will post a not-so-great solution that seems to work (in most cases).
Cool. It's unfortunate that the original author of the patch is too busy with real life these days, or he could review your changes and give you suggestions. Though at least your work will likely provide him with a starting point should he wish to revisit and/or improve the patch.
gradha

Post by gradha »

I tried to get the pastebin patch from august against the current trunk, but I'm unable to run it. In order to test it I first transcoded some seconds of an interlaced video with the usual parameters. Then I changed the decomb filter from the default (presumably 7:2:6:9:80:16:16:10:20:20:4:2:50:24:1:-1) to 1031:2:6:9:80:16:16:10:20:20:4:2:50:24:1:-1. The generated file was different in size (smaller!) but I didn't see any difference visually. How is the patch supposed to be used? Maybe something else changed which now prevents the patch from working?
Last edited by gradha on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Wow, has it been that long? After nearly 3 yrs since jbrjake's initial post, this has finally been committed :mrgreen:
https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/4625
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

Mad props to you and everyone invovled! I can't wait to test it. On that note, how do I test it? What do I type into the "Custom" field to test this? Or is it something else?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

It will be available in the GUI too (MacGUI commit coming later tonight, LinGUI already committed).
gradha

Post by gradha »

The visual difference is really noticeable. In my tests the bob filter only increases file size by 15-25%. Tried svn 4721 and turning on detelecine and bob at the same time gives wrong results, with frames rendered as 1,3,2,4,6,5 instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6. Other than that bob looks like a nice companion to have, thanks!