Integrated GUI for linux?

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

JoeHughto

Integrated GUI for linux?

Post by JoeHughto »

From what I understand, the linux version used to have a gui. I was wondering if anyone was currently working on this. If not, I might be able to at least start work on it.
clee

Yes.

Post by clee »

Yeah, I've been working on a Qt4 frontend.

It doesn't share any code with any of the other frontends, but I did use the test.c source to figure out how to use the libhb API.

Current status is, it can rip successfully, but it doesn't offer all of the GUI options that the other platforms have yet. If you're not terrified of Qt, I'd be happy to put up my code someplace for you to look at; if you'd prefer to revive the GTK2 or WX frontends, please feel free.
JoeHughto

Post by JoeHughto »

I've never used qt4. I think I'll see what I can do with GTK2. I probably won't get around to anything useful until around Christmas though, because I'm pretty booked until then. I'm glad that someone is working on a frontend for it though. :)
clee

Post by clee »

Fair enough - the main difference between coding with Qt versus GTK at this point is just language. If you want to use GTK, you write in C or use C++ with gtkmm, or you use one of the other variants (like, say, pygtk); but if you're not using C or C++, you'll need to do language bindings for libhb, which is possible, but still a decent amount of extra work.

All depends on what you're comfortable with, of course. I happen to be a KDE developer, so I'm pretty familiar with Qt and it was the obvious choice for me to make. Plus, the rest of HandBrake is GPL, so it's not like using a GPL graphical toolkit will change the license or anything.
JoeHughto

Post by JoeHughto »

I'm most familiar with C so I figured that GTK was the best idea for me. I also try to stay away from KDE, so that explains me not wanting to use qt. It'd be nice to have a gnome version and a kde version though.