Request for AVCHD support

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Video_newb

Request for AVCHD support

Post by Video_newb »

I previously posted this as an edit in another thread, but as it was somewhat buried, i figured I might start a new thread so I hope you guys don't mind. I don't know if this is possible or easily implementable, but as a PS3 owner I'm looking to encode at the best quality with surround sound audio. Since AC3 passthrough seems to be tied right now to the avi wrapper, which the PS3 has trouble playing, I was wondering if we might be able to see AVCHD wrapper support (.m2ts extension). I'd really love to have h.264 video and AC3 audio in files that can be read by the PS3 and this seems to be just about the only option. Thanks and keep up the great work.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Request for AVCHD support

Post by jbrjake »

Video_newb wrote:I was wondering if we might be able to see AVCHD wrapper support (.m2ts extension).
According to bond over at doom9, the ultimate authority on all things mpeg-4, AVCHD is very close to regular .ts, but screws with the headers somehow (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... post869379).

The same thread seems to have no information on open source muxing to .m2ts, just a bunch of tools for people trying to get content out of Blu-Ray discs which use the pseudo-format.

So for the time being, I'm not sure this is really possible.
Video_newb

Post by Video_newb »

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to keep tabs on the doom9 forum and see if they make any headway.
jbjones

Post by jbjones »

I'd like to second this idea. AVCHD seems like the best bet for the MP3 and JPEG of the video world.
virtuapete

AVCHD file output

Post by virtuapete »

I nominate this feature as well
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

People, this isn't a poll.

You already heard him say at this time its not possible. Saying "Me too", isn't going to change things.
jbjones

Post by jbjones »

Actually anything is possible in the digital realm. It's just a matter of whether the "programming hours to user benefit" ratio is worth the effort. And possibly whether the resulting CPU load on today's processors is low enough to make conversion worthwhile. That is of course unless a licensing issue comes into play.

However I should have clarified on my post above that I wasn't imagining a wrapper. But more just ripping and transcoding to the AVCHD file format. If we are going to have camcorders that record to this natively it seems to make sense to build an entire library in the same format.

Something needs to become the JPEG and MP3 of the wideo world. AVCHD looks like the best bet at the moment.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

I eagerly await your patch.
jbjones

Post by jbjones »

Did the original post care if it was a wrapper or a full transcoding to a new format? Or did I just hijack this thread by making it about transcoding instead of a simple wrapper issue.