Multiple Qualities

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

jkbuster

Multiple Qualities

Post by jkbuster »

Hi,

I was wondering if there is an easy way to create multiple files for the same movie (one at AppleTV quality and another at iPhone quality, for example) and have iTunes use the appropriate version. Apple is doing this with their HD TV Shows and so I was wondering if there was an easy way to do this with ripped movies.

PS: If this has already been touched, I'm sorry. Please point me in the right direction.

--
Thanks,
JKBuster
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: Multiple Qualities

Post by nightstrm »

It's possible to combine a HD and SD encode like Apple does it with TV shows (and apply it to any video type). You'd need to use a CLI utility mp4tags (part of the mp4v2 project) to set the hdvd tag to 1 on the HD file, set cnID to identical values for both files, and set stik (video type) to 'TV Shows'. When this file is imported into itunes it will be combined, and you can change the video type accordingly.

I should note that this is a relatively new development and that you'd have to compile the mp4v2 binaries yourself after checking out the latest revision from they SVN repository. I'd also make a backup of the original file, just in case. If this is all over your head, I'm sure an application will eventually come out that can do all of this (using mp4v2 on the backend).
jkbuster

Post by jkbuster »

Is this something that Handbrake may support? It seems like a nice way to do things so long as storage space is not a problem.

JKBuster
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

I doubt it's something HandBrake will do, and tbh it fits better in the tagging workflow (at least for me).