new crop setting: NoCrop

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

algal

new crop setting: NoCrop

Post by algal »

Hi,

The new version of handbrake is very nice indeed, but I would just love it if the built-in presets included one with no cropping (equivalent to 0:0:0:0 custom cropping) -- or at least, if you could define your own preset with no cropping. I think this was the default, or was at least possible, with the last version.

The beauty of handbrake is that it has smart defaults and doesn't require all the fiddling and tweaking of other solutions. The new version's autocrop cuts off video, so now you're forced to adjust it manually. It seems like things have gone backwards.

I encoded a dozen home videos with the old Handbrake. They were great. On a whim, I re-encoded them with Handbrake 0.93 and was disappointed to discover that the autocrop cut off the heads of the actors in all the encodes. Because the new handbrake does not let you set up NoCrop preset, I had to resort to scripting the command line version in order to re-encode everything again, just to get back to the quality level of the old version of handbrake.

Maybe my problem was unusual, but I'd bet I'm not the only one. I notice someone started a thread in the Core forum asking for the same thing.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: new crop setting: NoCrop

Post by jbrjake »

algal wrote:if you could define your own preset with no cropping.
This is nonsense. Why are you requesting things that are already possible?
I think this was the default, or was at least possible, with the last version.
No it was not the default with the last version or ever.
The new version's autocrop cuts off video, so now you're forced to adjust it manually. It seems like things have gone backwards.
No one else, out of nearly 600,000 downloads, has complained about the new cropping algorithm. It has never cut off any video for me. If you have a serious problem with the cropping in 0.9.3 you should have posted a thorough bug report about that so someone could actually investigate the issue.
the new handbrake does not let you set up NoCrop preset
....but it does. I just tried it.
algal

Post by algal »

Hi jbrjake,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
jbrjake wrote:
algal wrote:The new version's autocrop cuts off video, so now you're forced to adjust it manually. It seems like things have gone backwards.
No one else, out of nearly 600,000 downloads, has complained about the new cropping algorithm. It has never cut off any video for me. If you have a serious problem with the cropping in 0.9.3 you should have posted a thorough bug report about that so someone could actually investigate the issue.
If I am the only person for whom the new autocrop fails, then obviously this is not a serious issue worth addressing. But I know what I'm seeing. The new autocrop cuts off my videos, where the handbrake 0.92 defaults did not.

This is probably because the videos are of a stage performance against a black background, so that content doesn't appear in the crop area until a few minutes in. I guess what I'm saying is, I would re-open trac ticket 69 http://trac.handbrake.fr/ticket/69, which it seems was put in to address exactly this issue. Since the new handbrake only just came out, and probably not all 600,000 downloaders have tried to encode something tricky, I thought this was worth mentioning.
jbrjake wrote:
algal wrote:
the new handbrake does not let you set up NoCrop preset
....but it does. I just tried it.
Look closer. It lets you set custom crop settings in the preset. But then it doesn't retain them when you try to load them from the preset.

Here's how to repeat it: Open a video with handbrake, choose the iPhone preset, go into Picture Settings and set it to custom cropping 0:0:0:0, save the preset under a name like test, now select the iPhone preset again, now select your newly-saved preset test. Observe: the custom cropping settings have vanished.

At least, this is what I observe. From your response I get the impression that you believe it is now possible to save a custom setting of no cropping. At least for me, at least for my video, that is definitely not the case. So would you recommend I make this a a bug report instead of a feature request?

I'm just trying to help. Sorry if I'm annoying you.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

algal wrote:This is probably because the videos are of a stage performance against a black background, so that content doesn't appear in the crop area until a few minutes in. I guess what I'm saying is, I would re-open trac ticket 69 http://trac.handbrake.fr/ticket/69, which it seems was put in to address exactly this issue. Since the new handbrake only just came out, and probably not all 600,000 downloaders have tried to encode something tricky, I thought this was worth mentioning.
And it is -- but as a thorough bug report, in the bug reports forum, with stuff like an activity log. Then we could lead you through the process of locating the preview images cached to disk in your /tmp folder and it'd be possible to see exactly why the algorithm is messing up.
Look closer. It lets you set custom crop settings in the preset. But then it doesn't retain them when you try to load them from the preset.
I tested before replying to you the first time -- it works.

I have a feeling you're telling HandBrake to not use picture settings in the preset.
tonyg

Post by tonyg »

Is there a way to set the crop to zero without clicking the arrows and waiting for the numbers to decrement? I'd like to just type in 0 in the four fields, but it doesn't seem possible.
jzietman
Enlightened

Post by jzietman »

tonyg wrote:Is there a way to set the crop to zero without clicking the arrows and waiting for the numbers to decrement? I'd like to just type in 0 in the four fields, but it doesn't seem possible.
You could create a custom preset with no cropping so you'd always have cropping off, but no, there's no quicker way to turn it off when it's on than by using the arrows. I still don't really understand why you'd want to do this anyway, but that's up to you.
computer_guru7

Post by computer_guru7 »

I am having the same cropping issue. Presets will not save my custom crop of 0 0 0 0. I would like a no crop option for the Windows GUI.

I am using version svn3713, which I believe to be the latest.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

computer_guru7 wrote:I am having the same cropping issue. Presets will not save my custom crop of 0 0 0 0. I would like a no crop option for the Windows GUI.

I am using version svn3713, which I believe to be the latest.
How about not posting in the Mac section?

Anyway, custom crop in WinGUI presets has been implemented: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14348
computer_guru7

Post by computer_guru7 »

Sorry about posting in the wrong area. I will bost in the bugs area since I am still having an issue.