Save average encode speed in queue

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

jzietman
Enlightened

Save average encode speed in queue

Post by jzietman »

Is there any way that, once a file has finished recording, the final average encode speed (in fps) for encodes could be saved in, say, the queue, or somewhere else? This would make benchmarking different x264 options much easier as well as generally help users find a balance between quality and speed for their encodes. I've looked in the activity logs and so far I don't see the final average listed somewhere in there, though since the logs are mostly a mystery to me I may well have missed what I was looking for.

Thanks so much!
realityking
Veteran User

Re: Save average encode speed in queue

Post by realityking »

At least in current Code the line should look like this:

Code: Select all

[14:30:16] work: average encoding speed for job is 48.334991 fps
It definitively isn't in 0.9.2, I don't know about the snapshot.
jzietman
Enlightened

Post by jzietman »

ok, thanks, that's all I guess I really needed to know.
puddleglum

Post by puddleglum »

I've been wanting this as well. The last time I went looking it was with 0.9.2, I'm curious to see if it's in the snapshot build. Anyways, I agree it would be a nice addition to display this in the queue.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

puddleglum wrote:it would be a nice addition to display this in the queue.
Hmm, tough to do since that is computed by libhb after the encode is completed. Not impossible, but frankly harder than it is worth imho. As well, its in the logs anyway if you want to check it.
Oh, and its in Snapshot 3 which is svn r 1797 as it was committed by jbrjake as http://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/1727
puddleglum

Post by puddleglum »

dynaflash wrote: Hmm, tough to do since that is computed by libhb after the encode is completed. Not impossible, but frankly harder than it is worth imho. As well, its in the logs anyway if you want to check it.
Oh, and its in Snapshot 3 which is svn r 1797 as it was committed by jbrjake as http://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/1727
Yeah, I saw it was in Snapshot 3 last night when I did an encode. I got the impression, though, that it is printed for each pass in a 2-pass encode? I was going to go hunting in the logs but then the toddler wanted dinner. :) Anyways, I've never really looked at the HB code before, but I'm guessing you're saying libhb is somewhat isolated from the GUI code, so it would involve updating whatever routine updates the Queue window when a job is done, to go fish the value out of the log? Maybe it's time to dust off XCode and edumacate myself. :D