Apple TV & Movie Tags

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Jaisen

Apple TV & Movie Tags

Post by Jaisen »

Any plans to implement tags for the m4v files like people place tags for mp3 files in future versions? Is there any information stored on the DVD like the year or descriptions etc?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: Apple TV & Movie Tags

Post by nightstrm »

The answers to your questions are: no and no.

The only tag that Handbrake writes is the Encoder tag.

If you want additional tags, use MetaX for Mac (http://www.kerstetter.net/page53/page54/page54.html); if you're on Windows, you'll have to do some searching yourself.
Jaisen

Post by Jaisen »

Ok thanks.
Smokerz

Post by Smokerz »

You can use itunes to tag the movie. I encode DVD and m2t files(taken off set top box). Just experiment with "view" check all boxes and seee what is displayed on Apple TV. Most view items are not displayed but most are tagged within the movie itself. The views I use that I can see on Apple TV , my setup to get information I want:
Comment: i use wikipedia to copy/paste pertinent information such as date and brief summary of film - Apple TV will show up to 4 lines of information.
Genre: I do custom to show if DVR or DVD or Oscar Best Movie
Time: this shows naturally
Name: I edit this for the movie name
toontimer

Post by toontimer »

Hi. Dunno if you've tried this, but I find it works great for tagging files for my Apple TV, and looks very professional, almost identical to the tags for downloaded iTunes files. 8)

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29224

After I use Handbrake to digitize the file, I use P.A.D. to tag it, and even add artwork. Looks just like the real deal from iTunes :)
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

toontimer wrote:Hi. Dunno if you've tried this, but I find it works great for tagging files for my Apple TV, and looks very professional, almost identical to the tags for downloaded iTunes files. 8)

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29224

After I use Handbrake to digitize the file, I use P.A.D. to tag it, and even add artwork. Looks just like the real deal from iTunes :)
Um...this hasn't been updated since 2006
MetaX been updated...a few days ago
This doesn't (can't) hold a candle to MetaX
toontimer

Post by toontimer »

I'm not familiar with MetaX. New to Apple TV, so new to this software and DVD transfers. I'm happy with the P.A.D. at the moment, but I will check out the MetaX as well.
evil_doberman

Post by evil_doberman »

Still, feature of adding artwork directly on the file when converting would be great and appreciated a lot without using other software.

I have been using handbrake now for a year and I must say it is great, the only hope for this software would be to have more features.
Starhawk
Experienced

Post by Starhawk »

iDentify 2 is fantastic.
mcmusic
Experienced

Post by mcmusic »

If you happen to be on windows - my batch encoder will add metadata as it encodes automatically. There is also a batcher tool which will get the majority of metadata for collections already encoded.

http://videoscripts.wordpress.com