DTS At Last

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

golias
Enlightened

DTS At Last

Post by golias »

Now that Perian has added DTS support to QuickTime, I hope somebody with more programming skills than me is motivated to add DTS passthrough (no transcoding) as an option in HandBrake. It would be awesome for me to be able to archive my DTS DVDs as h.264 files with DTS sound.

When I've brought it up in the past, QuickTime's lack of DTS support has always been cited as a reason why it wasn't worth doing, but that's all changed now, right?
ssj2_goha
Enlightened

Re: DTS At Last

Post by ssj2_goha »

golias wrote:Now that Perian has added DTS support to QuickTime, I hope somebody with more programming skills than me is motivated to add DTS passthrough (no transcoding) as an option in HandBrake. It would be awesome for me to be able to archive my DTS DVDs as h.264 files with DTS sound.

When I've brought it up in the past, QuickTime's lack of DTS support has always been cited as a reason why it wasn't worth doing, but that's all changed now, right?
I think it still stands as is....... I think what the developers are working on now is getting 5.1 in the m4v files to work on the ATV. Progress is being made.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

golias wrote:When I've brought it up in the past, QuickTime's lack of DTS support has always been cited as a reason why it wasn't worth doing, but that's all changed now, right?
That's not true.

The reasons why it's not been done:

- Maurj hasn't done it yet
- Maurj is busy
- No one else with the ability to code it has expressed any interest in doing so (if I knew how I'd have done it long ago).

The reason it isn't a huge priority:

- There aren't a lot of DVDs with full bitrate DTS tracks on them that offer different content than the AC3 tracks. Yes, I know, you've got anime where this is an issue because not every language is offered in every codec at the same quality, but 90% of the DVDs out there that have DTS audio only have a half-bitrate DTS audio track that offers no benefit over the AC3 track also present. That's the only reason it's not a huge priority. Perian/QT has nothing to do with it, I'd use it myself with VLC.
golias
Enlightened

Post by golias »

If it was true that "90%" of DTS disks offer no advantage over the AC3 tracks on the same disk (which has never been my experience), then why would ANYBODY spend the money on a home-theater amp which accepts DTS?

The answer, of course, is that the other "10%" sounds spectacular.

This is the "ponies" thread, so I feel no guilt about whining here, but that's all it is. Whining. Now that the Apple DVD player de-interlaces properly and hard drive space is so darn cheap, I've got no problem with leaving my 30-odd DTS disks as full, un-extracted images on my drive and simply play them with the DVD player, using HB and QuickTime for pretty much everything else. Brute force to the rescue where finesse comes up short. :)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

golias wrote:If it was true that "90%" of DTS disks offer no advantage over the AC3 tracks on the same disk (which has never been my experience), then why would ANYBODY spend the money on a home-theater amp which accepts DTS?

The answer, of course, is that the other "10%" sounds spectacular.
Right...but they're still only 10%, and generally in programming you try to stick with 80% solutions. Listen, I'm not arguing with you. As I keep saying, if I could code DTS pass-thru in myself, I would. If it was there, I would use it. But no one who *does* have the ability *has* added it, and I'm not going to pester maurj constantly about something that is only ever going to be a niche feature, when I know he's busy enough with paying jobs. Just wait patiently, and someone will add it someday. There's no need to start new threads about it, because asking again isn't going to make it happen any sooner.
fcote

Post by fcote »

Can we still cross our fingers and hope to get DTS for Apple TV? :)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Yes but please don't blame us if they start getting a bit sore for being crossed for a long time ;)