M4V as a supported source

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

srfnsno

M4V as a supported source

Post by srfnsno »

what is the possibility of the upcoming version of handbrake including M4V as a supported source?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: M4V as a supported source

Post by dynaflash »

srfnsno wrote:what is the possibility of the upcoming version of handbrake including M4V as a supported source?
.m4v is just a itunes friendly filename extension for an .mp4 file (in general, just tells a mac to open the file with iTunes by default instead of Quicktime) at least as far as I know.

So, are you asking that HB be able to read and convert an .mp4 file ?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

I'm going to preliminarily disagree with this.

HD DVD is, in fact, a M4V source, and I could most definitely see HandBrake supporting HD DVD sources in the far-flung future. ;)

Rodney
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

rhester wrote:HD DVD is, in fact, a M4V source, and I could most definitely see HandBrake supporting HD DVD sources in the far-flung future. ;)
I will note that the user's question concerned "the upcoming version" which would be 0.9.0b1 ;P

And not all high-def stuff is M4V. I was thinking we'd get all the sizing/buffering/interface issues worked out with 1080i/720p mpeg-2 ts files looooong before folding in avc or vc1 decoding from ffmpeg. And before that, we'd have to get raw .ts sources at any rez working with HB....so definitely not going to happen for the upcoming version.
srfnsno

Thank you for your replys

Post by srfnsno »

Perhaps someone can direct me to a proper resource for an OS X user like myself.

I posted this question a little vague.

I have accumulated quite a few back ups of my personal collection of my own DVD's which I use for personal playback by way of Handbrake.

I also have accumulated quite a few M4V files too. I would like to burn those to DVD to watch via my entertainment system (plasma), as opposed to my computer or ipod.

If I can convert them to MP4 format, I can use iDVD to make my back up and thus watch the program on my entertainment center.

Handbrake already sees the M4V file and actually lets me select it, but doesn't recognize it as a valid format.

Once again thank you for taking the time to read this.
Thierry

Post by Thierry »

srfnsno,

I was burning DVD for backup myself about a week ago. And because I wanted them to be reconized by ITunes I saved them as M4V format. Did work fine, but I could not burn them to DVD.
So I just renamed them from M4V to MP4 in the Finder window. My Mac gave me a warning that the file will be open by another application, so just say yes and your movie become MP4 in an instant. Can be burn to DVD and watch on one of these standalone DVD player that can play them.
Hope this help

PS: I noticed that you want to use IDVD to make a copy, I believe you can, not sure of the result, I never tried