New naming defaults, dangit!

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Durendal

New naming defaults, dangit!

Post by Durendal »

I've done this several times now, and it's really, really irritating and only makes Handbrake more of a pain. I'll add several tracks from a DVD to a queue, go to bed, get up in the morning, and find only one file. Why? Because Handbrake names EVERY TRACK THE SAME THING, and overwrites each file! You have to manually rename each track to prevent this. First off, it shouldn't be overwriting by default, and second, each filename should be unique, ie, with the track number added in or something to that effect, and third, if there are duplicate filenames, Handbrake should warn you before the encode begins! How has this remained in for so long? I can only imagine the number of people burned by it.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

The whole idea of having preferences is so you can configure HB to your preference.

Dynaflash doesn't use autonaming, so he has it off by default. If you want it on, it's not like opening the preferences and checking a box one time is strenuous or particularly technical.

I fail to see how it's "really, really irritating" or "makes HandBrake more of a pain" (more of?). You're entirely wrong when you say "you have to manually rename each track"...
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: New naming defaults, dangit!

Post by dynaflash »

Durendal wrote:I've done this several times now, and it's really, really irritating and only makes Handbrake more of a pain.
With all due respect, what is really really irritating is users that refuse to read the documentation.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/Preferences
semanticist

Post by semanticist »

With all due respect, I looked in the documentation, under Destination, which doesn't mention that feature at all, but would be a logical place to mention it.

What I'd really like is to just be able to use wildcards (like %t and %c) in the destination, and have Handbrake replace them when a job is added to the queue. And a pony.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Well, while we're at it I would like a Ferrari ... and also for HandBrake to call my cell phone to tell me when it's finished encoding ... and ... and ....
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

The Later one is already possible (sort of per SMS), you could setup HandBrake to send a Growl Message, you could send up Gorwl to send an E-Mail and some ISPs and Freemail Provider support SMS notifying for incoming E-Mails. :lol:
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

realityking wrote:The Later one is already possible (sort of per SMS), you could setup HandBrake to send a Growl Message, you could send up Gorwl to send an E-Mail and some ISPs and Freemail Provider support SMS notifying for incoming E-Mails. :lol:
Im setting this up as soon as my plane lands. :lol: