Mandatory Subtitles

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

cbud
Bright Spark User

Mandatory Subtitles

Post by cbud »

Certain movies (Babel, Hunt For Red October) have ‘mandatory subtitles’ or translations that appear no matter what. I was wondering if it would be possible to get MediaFork to encode these without encoding all the other subtitles. How hard would this be? Could this be implemented for v0.9 with colored subtitles but before soft subtitles (v1.0)? Or are we better off waiting to see how Apple is going to handle subtitles (which may be around the corner)? Thanks.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Forced subtitle detection is a tough business. The "market leader", mplayer, still gets it wrong more often than it gets it right (which is largely an issue of properly understand the DVD "hints" that indicate a subtitle should be forced...there are at least three different ways of doing so, only one of which mplayer recognizes).

That having been said, it's a feature I'd like to see as well, and I consider it an issue completely independent of whether the subtitles are "burned in" or handled as text subs.

Rodney