Preview : original + results in the same video preview

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

nderev

Preview : original + results in the same video preview

Post by nderev »

It could be convinient to have in the same preview video (side by side or top-bottom) the original file playing synchronized with the compressed video
The goal is to better estimate compressed image quality level compared to original video

HandBrake 1.07 - Windows 10
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Preview : original + results in the same video preview

Post by Woodstock »

While it would be an interesting feature, it would require a player capable of displaying two files at once.

The player is not part of handbrake, so I don't see how this feature could be implemented by the handbrake team.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Woodstock wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:57 pm While it would be an interesting feature, it would require a player capable of displaying two files at once.

The player is not part of handbrake, so I don't see how this feature could be implemented by the handbrake team.
On Linux I use gstreamer libraries. I could technically open a second window and gstreamer instance for this. OSX could probably do something similar since I believe it is using system libs as well. Not sure what Windows does. Uses VLC I think.

The bigger problem here would be screen real estate. Difficult to look at a couple HD videos side by side on an HD screen. And scaling the videos down defeats the purpose of comparing quality since the scaling would hide a lot of quality related issues. There are use cases for this, but seems like a lot of work for what amounts to a convenience in a few use cases.
nderev

Post by nderev »

Ok, I understand your comments
What about merging videos one after the other after compression so that you keep size and can compare quality even if it's not synchronized
Another idea,making 1 or 2 pictures comparison that can be easily glud or put side by side and resizable to check quality (as made under RIOT picture compression software)
To go further concerning the use of pictures, as Apple does for picture optimisation, clicking on compressed picture is showing original one ; release of the click goes back to the compressed picture