Add Option to Force Shutdown of Windows after Encode

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

FrostByte
Novice

Add Option to Force Shutdown of Windows after Encode

Post by FrostByte »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:

An additional option to Force (or without Prompting) a shutdown of Windows 10 after an encode. Current option does a Shutdown only, but the user is prompted to click "Close" that the computer will be shutting down in 1 minute and the computer never shuts down because the user (me) is asleep. When I wake up in the morning the computer is asleep and when I wake the computer it's sitting at the prompt still to shutdown in 1 minute.

Why would you like to see this added:

To automate the shutdown process when I know I'll be away

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:

20170416-bb92ab0_x86_64-Win_GUI

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):

Windows Pro 10.0.15063.138 64-bit
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Add Option to Force Shutdown of Windows after Encode

Post by s55 »

It's already a forced shutdown. When you do a timed shutdown on Windows, it's forced by default so apps shouldn't be able to block the shutdown.

You also don't need to close the window. It will automatically close after a minute and shutdown.

I'm not quite sure why this doesn't work for you. It suggests there is some kind of system level issue.

Have you tried running
shutdown -s -t 60

from a command prompt and see if you get the same issue?
FrostByte
Novice

Re: Add Option to Force Shutdown of Windows after Encode

Post by FrostByte »

Ya, it works just fine when I manually do a shutdown from command prompt and I see the pop up saying it's shutting down in 60 seconds which closes by itself when it's time. However, when I tell HB to shutdown when it's done my system is just sitting there at a prompt when I wake up in the morning and reboots as soon as I click the box.

So far Google hasn't been my friend, but you must be right that for some reason my computer isn't letting HB do its thing. All I've found so far is a registry setting which you can tell your system to not allow third party apps to do a shutdown, but that isn't there. I'll keep checking though. Sorry for the post. You can mark as invalid or whatever :)