Language setting on audio

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

FrontierDK

Language setting on audio

Post by FrontierDK »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:
The ability to set the language on unknown audio - so that the output file will show what audio tracks are available, rather than "unknown".

Why would you like to see this added:
If the output file has several tracks included, in various languages, and all are listed as "unknown", the user has to choose between them. Some GUI systems, like Plex (plex.tv) include the user option to set the prefered language - but when the audio is unknown, a random track is chosen instead.

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Windows 10 pro x64 1607 + Windows Server 2016.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Language setting on audio

Post by Woodstock »

If the source is an MKV file, you can use mkvmerge (part of mkvtoolnix) to set the language for the tracks before processing in handbrake, as a work-around.
FrontierDK

Post by FrontierDK »

I do have mkvmerge - but when encoding blu-ray to MP4, it seems like a long go-around...
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I've seen mention of programs that allow you to modify the stream information "in place" (not by copying to another file), but I don't keep that information indexed in my brain... Too many other things there right now. :)
WhosAsking

Post by WhosAsking »

Language tags in mkv files are a fixed feature and are very easy to edit in place using mkvpropedit (part of the mkvtools). You just need to know which track it is and what your target language code is.
FrontierDK

Post by FrontierDK »

I use Handbrake to convert DVDs and blu-rays into MP4, not MKV. The only time MKV is used, is when the blu-ray is encoded with many small files - Handbrake doesn't support seamless joining of those parts...