Output Size Calculator

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

TheInfamousWaffles
New User

Output Size Calculator

Post by TheInfamousWaffles »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake: I'd like an approximate output size calculator (or the knowledge of how to do it on my own if I must).

Why would you like to see this added: This will really help me not waste so much time re-encoding over and over again until I find the right RF for the output size.

What version of HandBrake are you currently running: 1.0.3 64-bit.

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14): Windows 10.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Output Size Calculator

Post by Woodstock »

There is no way to predict the size UNLESS you limit to a specific bit rate, and use two-pass encoding to achieve it.

Using constant quality (RF) uses the bit rate necessary for whatever section of the video it is working on, so it changes dynamically with the complexity of the video. More detail? More bits. 10 seconds of a constant frame? Less bits.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Time (Sec) X Bit rate (Mbps) X .125 = File Size (MB)
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

TheInfamousWaffles wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:42 am This will really help me not waste so much time re-encoding over and over again until I find the right RF for the output size.
This is not really the way to use RF encoding.

If you need to create a video of a certain size use ABR and an online bitrate calculator.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

What is your need for a fixed file size? Is it storage or bandwidth?