[Rejected] Estimated File Size After Compression

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Lostik
New User

[Rejected] Estimated File Size After Compression

Post by Lostik »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:
A feature that shows an estimated file size after compression based on your settings (mostly RF)

Why would you like to see this added:
I upload a lot of content, and I would like to know how small the file is going to be before I dedicate time to making it small, just to find out it didn't really change the size.

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:
The latest version, 1.0.2

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Windows 7
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Estimated File Size After Compression

Post by rollin_eng »

When using RF you cant estimate a file size until you start processing and then it can vary depending on lots of factors.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Not possible with any legitimacy/accuracy.
StPatty33

Post by StPatty33 »

If you typically process videos of a similar length, you can usually get a good estimate just by doing 2 or 3 previews and looking at the file size of those. You get to know what size preview files translate to what full video size. Depending on the format you're processing it into (like mkv), you can open the file mid-process to start playing it, and once you've done that you can refresh the folder it's in to see the file size of the bit that's been done. I typically check my files when they're about 10% in, then I can estimate the final file size will be approximately 10x the size of that. If it then looks like it will be larger than I want, I cancel it out, tweak the processing (do a bit of denoise or bump the RF up 2 or 3 notches), and start it again. I rarely need to do that though, if I've done a couple 10-second previews and those previews fall within my acceptable size range.