Conversion of old preset files to JSON format

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

daanbrg

Conversion of old preset files to JSON format

Post by daanbrg »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:
When upgrading from 0.10.5 or earlier to 1.0.0 or above, it'd be great if a script in the installer offers the option of converting the old preset files to the new JSON format used by 1.0.0 and above.

Why would you like to see this added:
People can spend quite a bit of time working on a preset for a particular type of source or destination. If you then need to manually copy the data points from each of the tabs in the main screen for every preset you've made, that can easily become a weekend chore to get everything back to the way it was -- especially if you're using multiple custom presets, like I do.

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:
I upgraded 0.10.5 to 1.0.1, but reverted back to 0.10.5 when an error came up explaining that my presets were too old to be handled by the newer version of the program. A look at the preset pane and the AppData folder confirmed this.
This feature request would obviously apply to a version succeeding version 1.0.1.

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Windows 10 Home; 64-bit system. Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz; 4 GB of RAM.

Let me finish off by saying thank you to everyone who's worked on this project so much along the way.
Handbrake has become a brilliant 'Swiss army knife' kind of tool that I use every day for all kinds of purposes. If you guys ever start taking donations, I'll be happy to pledge what I can miss as a poor student. ;-)
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Conversion of old preset files to JSON format

Post by mduell »

Presets have never been compatible across versions (or in some cases platforms), I doubt there's any interest in this.
daanbrg

Post by daanbrg »

Then I've been very lucky in the past two years or so. Updating Handbrake through the automatic update function in the Options screen always went fine, up until this point.

But I suppose you're right, many users probably don't ever even create a preset while using Handbrake. Still, I'd like to put the idea out there. I think it'd be a nice feature from the perspective of the user.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Presets were backwards compatible in the mac and linux version, but each GUI had some little differences… the good news in that 1.0.0 uses the same presets format in both GUIs and cli, and newer versions will keep compatibility so you won't lose your presets anymore.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You may not lose the preset, but that doesn't mean the presets will behave the same between versions unfortunatly. For example, x265's slow preset change considerabally between versions, So if our preset sets slow, it may not mean the same thing between verisions.