Convert video files with the same properties as when inputted

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

DipperPines

Convert video files with the same properties as when inputted

Post by DipperPines »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:
I would like to see HandBrake add more "same as input" options, like for video framerate, audio bitrate, etc.

Why would you like to see this added:
Whenever I convert video files with HandBrake, I have no way of knowing the exact properties of the video file, nor do I know if it will decrease the quality of the video/audio or not.

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:
Version 0.10.5 x86_64 (2016021100)

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
OS X 10.11.6
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Convert video files with the same properties as when inputted

Post by rollin_eng »

You can set the framerate same as source. You can passthrough most audio.

What else do you want?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Just so it's clear, you understand that a 160KBit AAC audio file, re-encoded to 160Kbit AAC won't be the same quality? Each time you encode, you introduce more loss. That's why Passthru Exists, so audio tracks that don't need re-encoded can be passed through.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

And the same is true for video.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

s55 wrote:Just so it's clear, you understand that a 160KBit AAC audio file, re-encoded to 160Kbit AAC won't be the same quality? Each time you encode, you introduce more loss. That's why Passthru Exists, so audio tracks that don't need re-encoded can be passed through.
More importantly, 160Kbit AAC audio re-encoded to 160Kbit mp3 won't be anywhere near the same quality. Different encoders compress with different efficiencies. Using the same bitrate in such cases is only going to provide a very gross estimation of the original quality.
DipperPines

Post by DipperPines »

Yeah, I was aware that converting one format to itself, or another, can reduce the quality.

But what I didn't know was that HB allows Passthru! What a genius idea, guys!

I also wasn't aware that the framerate can be "set as source."

So, when having "Auto Passthru" for audio and "Set as Source" for video framerate, does that mean that the actual quality of the video will look the same? For example, it would look like this:

and not this (yes, I know it's a little drastic):

Thanks
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

There are many settings that can cause video issues, if you are having issues with your video I suggest you start a new thread in the relevant forum.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

DipperPines wrote:So, when having "Auto Passthru" for audio and "Set as Source" for video framerate, does that mean that the actual quality of the video will look the same?
No. Same as source only applies to the framerate, which is completely independent of your quality selection.
ddwrt

Post by ddwrt »

CRF (Constant Quality) set at 0 is pretty much what you need to get the same video quality as inputted. But it is kind of pointless, as the resulted file will be much, much larger when what was originally inputted, unless you have plenty of storage available. Just to tell you, CRF is what controls quality. The smaller the vallue, the higher the quality is. Everything else is pretty much secondary, and either tweaks the current CRF value to make picture look a bit better at current settings (or worse), or makes sure that the video is compatible with certain devices, It is the CRF which decides what is the quality at the end of the day. So to get the highest quality you want, use the highest CRF value, which makes the video look best for you. It can be anything, just try for yourself.