Manipulate queue entries on fresh start (no file scanned)

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Addict

Manipulate queue entries on fresh start (no file scanned)

Post by Addict »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:
The ability to alter/manipulate queue entries on fresh start before a file is scanned.

Why would you like to see this added:
Currently if I import a queue file on fresh start of HandBrake, I can only start the encoding. I cannot manipulate and entry (e.q. by clicking on the page icon on the right of an entry) before also re-scanning a file already in the queue. Since clicking this icon after re-scanning a queued file also causes a re-scan of the file and puts it in the same state as when doing a normal scan, this is doing things double. So I would like to be able to send a file back directly from the queue to alter any of the set options when it was previously added to the queue without the need to first scan a source file which is going to be ignored anyways.

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:
HandBrake-Nightly-20161207-8a9f21c_x86_64-Win_GUI

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Windows 10
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Manipulate queue entries on fresh start (no file scanned)

Post by s55 »

Sorry, but this just isn't feasible. We need data from the source file in order for many funcitons to work, and that can require a lot of storage for large queues.

If your restoring on local storage, it's a complete non-issue to begin with. Scans of a specific title don't take long.
Addict

Post by Addict »

That is too bad. Just for curiosity sake, what's the difference between loading a file back from the queue via the page icon vs using "Open Source"? When I do the first I see the exact same behavior as when using Open Source (with regards to how the UI behaves). That's what caused me to ask for this.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's doing the same thing. When you load back to the queue, is basically re-opens the file so it has all the state and raw preview data back again. (We don't keep it in memory as it can take up a large amount of data if your batch scanning stuff. (I.e More than what a lot of our users have in terms of free memory)
Addict

Post by Addict »

s55 wrote:It's doing the same thing. When you load back to the queue, is basically re-opens the file so it has all the state and raw preview data back again. (We don't keep it in memory as it can take up a large amount of data if your batch scanning stuff. (I.e More than what a lot of our users have in terms of free memory)

I fear you may have misunderstood me. All I want is the page icon to be active instead of disabled. If I am not mistaken this would not require data storage at all since the storage would only need to be allocated when a file is actually send back to the scanner from the queue. I am not asking for the complete queue data to be read (read scanned) back in. Just the ability to sent a single queue entry back to the scanner so I can alter settings for this file. So this would never require more storage than is needed for the selected queue entry.

The only way I can do this now is by reloading the source file, have it scanned, set all the options again while only altering one or two settings different from the queued entry, then switch to the queue to remove the same file already on the queue list so I can re-add the rescanned copy. Alternatively after reloading the file I can totally ignore the reloaded copy and at this point sent the queue entry back to the scanner because now the page icon is active. Whichever of the two methods I choose to use, it is still doing things twice just for the sake of altering a setting.

Besides this, even if I was batch scanning a folder, the moment I opt to send a previously queued entry back to scanner, the batch-scanned data is lost and I need to rescan the folder to be able to further batch process the remaining items, which is not the case here. And if I am not mistaken going by how the UI behaves, this does not apply when you load a queue file on start as then all required data is already stored in the hbq/json file.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The edit queue button isn't disabled. It's just a "dark grey" icon. (The others are only in colour as we don't have dark/light grey alternatives right now). Clicking the document icon sends it back to the main window, rescans and repopulates all the fields.
Addict

Post by Addict »

s55 wrote:The edit queue button isn't disabled. It's just a "dark grey" icon. (The others are only in colour as we don't have dark/light grey alternatives right now). Clicking the document icon sends it back to the main window, rescans and repopulates all the fields.
I just tried but when I start HandBrake and load a queue file as first thing, nothing in the queue window is enabled. Queue entry text is grayed, page icon not enabled, delete queue entry icon not enabled.

For all intents and purposes. After opening a source file, clicking the page icon next to a queue entry produces the same behavior in the GUI as if opening a source file. Again, this is why I assume they are both performing the same action and why I asked to have the queue icons enabled from the start.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

hmm, I'm guessing you've got the preference to in-line the queue with the main window set on.

So, It's more a bug, not a feature request. I'll take a look.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

OK, now that i understand what you were talking about, Try the next nightly build. it should be sorted.
Addict

Post by Addict »

:D Thank you very much!

It's working perfectly!