Add ability to specify Source File - default directory

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

pmks7w
New User

Add ability to specify Source File - default directory

Post by pmks7w »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:
To add the ability for User specified default directory specifically for SOURCE Files and SOURCE Folders.

Currently, there is not a user-specifiable location for these settings, and Handbrake uses some default locations that are not good. As a result, there is unnecessary user navigation every time a media file needs to be encoded.

On Win 10 64-bit version of Handbrake, when a user clicks on Source / File - on Win 10 it brings them to C/Program Files/Handbrake - the program directory. Many users do no not put media files in their Program Directory. Similarly, when a user clicks on Source / Folder - again on Win 10 - it brings the user to %User%/Documents... which is at least a more reasonable location - but may not be where the user keeps their media files, it may be on a separate drive. As a result, there is unnecessary user navigation every time a media file needs to be encoded.

Additionally, the default source folder settings for BOTH folders and files should be independent, so that the user can specify different paths for the same path as user prefers.

Why would you like to see this added:
Next release - this is simple to add, Handbrake already has the locations specified somewhere in a config file; the code for the user to specify a default Destination directory already exists, and could be repurposed.

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:
0.10.5.0 - 64-bit

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Win 10
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Add ability to specify Source File - default directory

Post by Woodstock »

When I click on the "source" button in the handbrake 0.10.x Windows GUI, the default directory for both "folder" and "file" is the last one navigated to and opened a file from, OR the last one I navigated to with the "browse" button for the output file. It has not defaulted to my home directory since I installed it and browsed for the first source file.

Sometimes this is good, sometimes if isn't, but it is consistent, and the default persists between launches of the program.

What you would seem to be wanting is for the "browse" component to maintain separate locations for when you browse for a source, vs. when you browse for a destination, correct?