File Naming ... drop the -1 on first file

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

nkemp

File Naming ... drop the -1 on first file

Post by nkemp »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:
When HandBrake creates a file name, it appends -1 on the file name for the first file. For the first file it should not add the -1 but it can add -2 for subsequent files
Why would you like to see this added:
The -1 messes up the file names for movies. It is OK for series files.
What version of HandBrake are you currently running:
10.5 64Bit
What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
W10 latest update
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: File Naming ... drop the -1 on first file

Post by s55 »

This is already configurable in preferences.
nkemp

Post by nkemp »

s55 wrote:This is already configurable in preferences.
The reply being a bit short on details, I'll assume you meant that you can drop the "-{title}". The problem with dropping the "-{title}" is that if you have multiple files with the same name you'll constantly overwrite them.

The suggestion is to retain the ability to prevent overwriting any existing file name but to do so with the first occurrence of the filename not having a number indicator and all subsequent filenames having a number indicator. Doesn't really make any difference if the first duplicate is a "-1" or a "-2".

If my assumption is wrong, can someone point me in the direction where I can configure this?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Ah, mis-understoond what you wanted.

You should not need to worry about overwrite. It will warn you (atleast the nightly does) if your about to do so.

I'll make a note for when I overhaul the auto-filename code. It won't be for 1.0 as it's feature frozen now, but maybe a release there after at some point.
nkemp

Post by nkemp »

Sounds good. Happy holidays (I'm not sure where you're located but I hope you have some holidays to be happy about :-).