3D HSHS/HOU ".sup" Subtitle Support

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Mr_Nick666

3D HSHS/HOU ".sup" Subtitle Support

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:

A way to mux in and, preferably, burn in a 3D ".sup" subtitle to a film.

Why would you like to see this added:

The ability to be able to add subtitles to 3D HSBS or HOU rips would be great. Forced subtitles would be really handy to be able to burn in as not all media players acknowledge muxed in subs, even if they're set to "forced".

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:

0.10.5.0 64 bit

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):

Windows 7, 64 bit
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: 3D HSHS/HOU ".sup" Subtitle Support

Post by Woodstock »

What is .SUP file format?

The .sup file extension stands for subtitle bitmap image extracted from a Blu-ray movie; it contains subtitle text graphics that are displayed during movie playback. The .sup subtitles are encoded with PGS codec, and sometimes known as PGS subtitles. It can be used for adding DVD subtitles to movies with authoring programs such as IfoEdit.
So, you're looking to burn in Blu-ray PGS subtitles? For 2D files, handbrake does that now. Since handbrake doesn't do 3D, that part would be kind of difficult.
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

Woodstock wrote:
What is .SUP file format?

The .sup file extension stands for subtitle bitmap image extracted from a Blu-ray movie; it contains subtitle text graphics that are displayed during movie playback. The .sup subtitles are encoded with PGS codec, and sometimes known as PGS subtitles. It can be used for adding DVD subtitles to movies with authoring programs such as IfoEdit.
So, you're looking to burn in Blu-ray PGS subtitles? For 2D files, handbrake does that now. Since handbrake doesn't do 3D, that part would be kind of difficult.
Since I'm talking about 3D HSBS (or HOU, which seems less used) the .sup subtitles have two sets of subtitles catering for the split 3D image.

This type of thing Image

I've no idea if theres a way to make an .srt duplicate for 3D (you'd have to say whether it's 16:9 or 21:9 which would probably be an pain to code) . I've only ever seen .sup files used for this.

I use 3DSubtitler to generate them
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake doesn't really have any kind of 3D support whatsoever. This kind of feature is not on the roadmap (sorry), though as usual, patches welcome :)
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If you mux them in with mkvmerge, HB should let you burn them in. Although HB doesn't support 3D so you'll just get 2D or unflagged SBS.
metaldave

Post by metaldave »

Rodeo wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:01 pm HandBrake doesn't really have any kind of 3D support whatsoever. This kind of feature is not on the roadmap (sorry), though as usual, patches welcome :)
Just out of curiosity, what would it take to put 3D on the roadmap? Alternatively, what type of patch would be supported to enable this capability?

I'm sure I'm not the only 3D enthusiast looking for this type of support from our favorite program.

- Dave
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

metaldave wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:47 pmJust out of curiosity, what would it take to put 3D on the roadmap?
Developer interest.
metaldave wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:47 pmAlternatively, what type of patch would be supported to enable this capability?
A github pull request.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You would need to make patches upstream to libav to add support for MVC 3D before the subject of subtitles for 3D could come into scope. Being able to handle "3D subtitles" without handling "3D video" is rather useless.
metaldave

Post by metaldave »

mduell wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:35 pm
metaldave wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:47 pmJust out of curiosity, what would it take to put 3D on the roadmap?
Developer interest.
If I can inspire interest, just tell me where to send the junk food and/or gifts.