Global tags in MKV files?

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Deleted User 23958

Global tags in MKV files?

Post by Deleted User 23958 »

Is there a way to prevent Global tags from being added to an MKV file during the process? I don't need or want these, and I always have to remux with MKVToolnix afterwards to remove them. Thanks.
v2x

Re: Global tags in MKV files?

Post by v2x »

I too run into this problem and while it's a minor annoyance, I'd love to see an option for this.
Deleted User 23958

I still have this problem with the newer versions. I remux everything afterwards in MKVToolNix. It's annoying that I have to do this step.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

What are these tags? I've noticed them when I've had to mux in subtitles, but noting seems to come up when I select them.

SC
manjeroque

Post by manjeroque »

Please, make an option to prevent Global tags from being added to an MKV file :)
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

What's the use case for this?
Deleted User 23958

There are hardware streamers that don't like the global tags. Now before anybody says those (mostly Sigma based) hardware streamers are not following the proper MKV specs...honestly, that is irrelevant. Whether it's a problem with the hardware box, the MKV spec, or Handbrake is totally irrelevant. The only thing that's relevant is the fact Handbrake adds them, without asking, and there is no way to disable it. It should be an option.

They don't do anything, and nobody needs them. When we mux an MKV file with MKVToolNix, we have a choice to add video, audio, chapters, subtitles, global tags or whatever. Handbrake should not be adding crap we don't want.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Ah MKV, what a joke of a non-standard.