Display Subtitle Edit Capability

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

SINAMAX-1
New User

Display Subtitle Edit Capability

Post by SINAMAX-1 »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:
I would like to see a means of editing the subtitle output. I would like to be able to choose size, font, and color of the output subtitles.
Also, the ability to use .idx and vob subtitle files.

Why would you like to see this added:
I have found that in my case, yellow is a better color for viewing most subtitles. White sometimes washes out and you can't read them clearly. Also the size is sometimes an issue. By making them smaller or bigger will also help in the overall viewing.

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:
0.10.5.0 64bit version

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Currently Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Display Subtitle Edit Capability

Post by Woodstock »

VOBSUBs and PGS are graphic images - you get what the author chose to draw.

Text-based subtitles (unless burned in) are subject to whatever your player chooses to do with them. Some formats support embedded font style/size/color changes. Handbrake already supports SSA-type font controls in SRT files as an extension.
Harald

Post by Harald »

Woodstock wrote:VOBSUBs and PGS are graphic images - you get what the author chose to draw.

Text-based subtitles (unless burned in) are subject to whatever your player chooses to do with them. Some formats support embedded font style/size/color changes. Handbrake already supports SSA-type font controls in SRT files as an extension.
It would be nice if we could edit the ssa-type font controls in handbrake
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

There are already several free programs designed to do what you want to do, and do it well. And editing subtitle parameters isn't something that lends itself to being part of an encoder, since it is an interactive process.

I have no control over what the handbrake people decide to do, but I'd personally suggest that this is not a good candidate for a "future feature".
Harald

Post by Harald »

Woodstock wrote:There are already several free programs designed to do what you want to do, and do it well. And editing subtitle parameters isn't something that lends itself to being part of an encoder, since it is an interactive process.

I have no control over what the handbrake people decide to do, but I'd personally suggest that this is not a good candidate for a "future feature".
If not lending being part off an encoder then also don't convert srt to ass/ssa.

i play my files with kodi. srt i can change size and color in kodi with an ssa i can't.

Just multiplex srt in mkv and do not convert to ass/ssa
or
add option to full control ass/ssa options
or
better let user choose between converting to ass/ssa or just multiplexing

the nightly build for windows and linux have a bug because of converting to ass/ssa : Handbrake adds an extra carriage return ( <br />) after each split line resulting an extra empty line between two lines (reported this as a bug also).
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Harald wrote:i play my files with kodi. srt i can change size and color in kodi with an ssa i can't.
This has been discussed here before and it is a feature that is on my todo list (as time permits). It is a common problem for people that make extensive use of SRT subs. All that is needed is to provide the ability to set a few font characteristics when the source subtitle is srt. This is much simpler than creating a more robust subtitle editor which I think is what Woodstock had in mind.

Since there would be a lot of common code, I was also planning to allow setting of closed caption font characteristics and overriding of some SSA font characteristics. Basically, it would allow setting things in the SSA header that control the default face, size, color, and style.

In the mean time, you can always edit these things manually by extracting the SSA from the mkv file (mkvextract), editing the SSA header with a text editor, and remuxing the edited version back into your mkv (mkvmerge).