MP2 Audio passthrough

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Djfe
Bright Spark User

MP2 Audio passthrough

Post by Djfe »

This might have been requested before (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=34807), but I think you missunderstood the thread creator

I think he might have meant MP2 (Mp3 was it's successor) audio streams (not MPEG2 Video)
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-1_Audio_Layer_II)

MP2 audio streams are still heavily used as fallbacks around the worl (even by HD broadcasters)

it would be nice to have a passthrough option for it :)
but it's not a must-have for me

What do you think?
Deleted User 13735

Re: MP2 Audio passthrough

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

MPEG I Layer II, or so-called mp2 audio, is so crappy and inefficient that all a passthrough option would do is take up space. For most delivery purposes, lightweight AAC is preferable. I suppose there is no harm in supporting a legacy format that way -- a few remaining non-Dolby broadcasters use it because it is there -- but lacking that intent, passthrough would be a hobbyist feature, the way I see it.

That said, "mp2" audio in an h264/mp4 video container, although probably not disallowed, would be a strange bird indeed.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

I don't think anyone is against MP2 passthru per se, but I doubt any of the main developers feel like spending any time on it. We can review patches for MP2 passthru and merge them if they're not too crappy, however.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

might be possible to mux the mp2 audio in ffmpeg or mp4box.
getting the sync offset right might be an issue.