EEDI2mt

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Djfe
Bright Spark User

EEDI2mt

Post by Djfe »

I have a question about EEDI2:
How many threads does handbrake's version utilize at the moment?
And is it possible to multithread it (further)?

if not then I'll just stick to encoding several files at the same time :)
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: EEDI2mt

Post by JohnAStebbins »

eedi2 only uses 3 threads. One for each color plane. I didn't know this until I looked at it just now (never really looked at the eedi2 code much). I'll have to take a closer look someday to see if the threading can be improved.
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

ok, funny ^^
thx for your answer

the reason I brought it up, is that I just encoded some stuff on my old quad core (no core ix) and noticed how slow it is.
-> my SSD wasn't fully utilized and the cpu was between 30 and 50%
(for testing I used ultrafast; I bet, x264 would have used the remaining 50% to compress further on other speed settings, but atleast on ultrafast eedi2 was the bottleneck and it might the bottleneck on bigger/faster CPUs as well)

The question that still remains: why did it not use 75% (it uses 3 threads after all)
is eedi2 maybe wasting cpu time by waiting for all threads of each frame to finish? (for synchronizing the color planes)
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Which CPU? My Intel "quad core" has 8 (hyper)threads running, so using 3 threads would only occupy 2 cores.

You would have to play around with operating system settings to get each thread on its own core.
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

well it's my older desktop computer ^^
and I actually misspelled it: Quad Processor is what intel used to call them, not quad cores
an Intel Q9400 (from before they called them core i7 etc)
http://ark.intel.com/de/products/35365/ ... 33-MHz-FSB

Anyways, even these days i5's don't use hyperthreading ;)

And I looked at the taskmanager in windows: none of the cores where fully utilized -> for some reason eedi2 sadly isn't using the full potential of the computer it's running on
(I can't see what's slowing it down)

I'll do some tests with my new desktop computer soon (i7-6700k) to see how well it performs on a newer pc
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Do you have a CPU temp sensor in the processor? It may be that the system is cutting back the processor speed to keep temps under control. As you know, a lot of desktops don't put 100% duty cycle cooling in, unless they KNOW us crazy people are going to own them. :)
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Woodstock wrote:Which CPU? My Intel "quad core" has 8 (hyper)threads running, so using 3 threads would only occupy 2 cores.
That's now how it's supposed to work. 3 busy software threads should be assigned to 3 hardware threads on different cores.