Multiple Chapter/Scene Cutting required.

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

huseyinekrem

Multiple Chapter/Scene Cutting required.

Post by huseyinekrem »

We can cut videos by selecting starting end ending. But Sometimes, we need more than this simple selection.
For example:
Saving first 35 secs of video.
Erase the next 1:30 secs.
Then continue to save to the ending.
Erase the ending.
Save if there is any after-ending scenes.

(I have to save turquoise zones and delete red zones.) :cry:

I'm diminishing the sizes of anime videos for mobile platforms. And I should delete opening and endings. But sometimes, there are important scenes before opening and after ending. And this things takes %20 from total memory usage. :shock: :shock: Important.

HandBrake version 0.10.2.7286

Windows 8.1 with Amd FX8320 3800mhz.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Multiple Chapter/Scene Cutting required.

Post by Woodstock »

Video editing is not something handbrake is intended to do. But there are many (commercial and free) tools that will let you do that, and will fix up the video, audio, and subtitle streams in the process.
huseyinekrem

Post by huseyinekrem »

right but no other free program support mkv files. Even sony vegas can't handle with videos which rendered by handbrake.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

HB does not aspire to be an NLE.

You should find an NLE that works with your sources, or convert your sources to something more compatible.
huseyinekrem

Post by huseyinekrem »

I wanted to say, not just cut between starting and ending point. İts not about being a NLE. We can already make a cut.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

huseyinekrem wrote:right but no other free program support mkv files. Even sony vegas can't handle with videos which rendered by handbrake.
A google search for "free mkv video editor" comes up with several candidates, more if the price range is expanded a bit.

I even found a site describing doing what you're asking for using mkvtoolnix. Which, if you are dealing with episodes that have a consistent chapter alignment (you always want to remove chapters 2 and 6, for example), could be scripted in a batch file.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

You want to try VideoRedo for cutting, joining, trimming long-GOP assets. It has a free trial.
MKVToolnix is also worth a try, as Woodstock suggests.

MKV is a wrapper. There is no single nonlinear editor or muxer that accepts all, or even more than a couple of MKV variants, and there are several!

Your assumptions are clever, but incorrect.
huseyinekrem

Post by huseyinekrem »

Woodstock wrote:
huseyinekrem wrote:right but no other free program support mkv files. Even sony vegas can't handle with videos which rendered by handbrake.
A google search for "free mkv video editor" comes up with several candidates, more if the price range is expanded a bit.

I even found a site describing doing what you're asking for using mkvtoolnix. Which, if you are dealing with episodes that have a consistent chapter alignment (you always want to remove chapters 2 and 6, for example), could be scripted in a batch file.
If it too simple, why you aren't add these abilities to handbrake? Thats the point.
Plus, mkvtoolnix doesn't be able to do what I want.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Maybe people wouldn't do it because it would complicate the program needlessly to accommodate someone who really needs a better tool?

The problem is that, to do what you're asking CORRECTLY, you need a video editor. It is possible to blunt-force other tools to doing it, but there are making a lot of compromises to do it.

I've seen the results of blunt-force editing of MKV files. I imported a series from Japan, and searched for a set of subtitles for it. What I found was attached to a pirate version of series, and it had been modified exactly as you're suggesting, removing the "unnecessary" titles chapters. The transitions were very rough, because the chapters didn't fall at key frames, so the "joints" were more like visual "speed bumps". And the SRTs that came with it had been butchered to kind of work with the missing chapters, rendering them useless for my disks.

The objective of handbrake is to be a very good transcoder, not a "good transcoder and mediocre editor". You want an editor.
nhyone
Bright Spark User

Post by nhyone »

huseyinekrem wrote:Plus, mkvtoolnix doesn't be able to do what I want.
It should be doable. Here's a poor's man method.

1. Include the cut points as chapter stops when encoding with HandBrake. This is to make sure they are key frames.
2. After encoding, use mkvmerge to split by chapters.
3. Then assemble your new file using mkvmerge again on the pieces you want.

(2) and (3) can be done in one step if you use timecodes -- if you care about efficiency -- but for me, this is simpler and good enough.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

When is Handbrake going to handle my email?

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/IsIsnt

SC
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

But handbrake will never be as good of an editor as emacs! :)
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

There's only one editor that should be mentioned in a VIdeo encoding forum :)