Uncropping video

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

tommy2016

Uncropping video

Post by tommy2016 »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:

I would very much like to have an option to uncrop video to Blu-ray specs from say 1920x800 or 1920x816 uncrop to 1920x1080

Why would you like to see this added:

Some (myself included) use media players that will take the 800 height dimension and stretch it to fill the 16:9 frame which makes everything look tall. Some have also reported that cropped video does not play correctly when burned to a disc. In the past uncropMKV and multiAVCHD can still be used to uncrop x264 encoded files but multiAVCHD does not support the HEVC x265. But Handbrake does so it would good to be able to uncrop those files with it.

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:

The latest version

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):

I'm running Win 7
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Uncropping video

Post by Woodstock »

What you're requesting is the ability to letterbox, which is not a feature of Handbrake, and past requests for that have been rejected. I don't see where it will get much a better response now.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

I thought someone was working on adding this.

Edit.

Looks like it might turn up at some point.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33274#p155296
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Some (myself included) use media players that will take the 800 height dimension and stretch it to fill the 16:9 frame which makes everything look tall.
Can you provide examples of such players? If I had one such as that, I would take it off my system.
Some have also reported that cropped video does not play correctly when burned to a disc.
That is universally correct. The dvd/bd movie disc formats accept fixed screen dimensions, and no authoring program will let you import noncompliant sizes. Why would anyone want to rip a movie disc, encode a file at DAR, then author it back to a dvd/bd disc format??
Seems fishy.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

This is being worked on. The code has actually been finished for some time now, but I need to do some additional testing before committing. A new pad filter is part of this pull request https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/pull/28

It is a large patch, so I didn't want to rush it in before the holidays when I typically have little time to work on HandBrake.
tommy2016

Post by tommy2016 »

@JohnAStebbins: Do you have an approximate eta on when this could be finished? Also will this be in the form of a patch or part of new Handdrake version download?

Thanks for your response.

@musicvid: I saw this happen with the Dune HD Base 3D. Why do people insist on messing with the aspect ratios? Cropping the bars does nothing for file size but causes problems.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

It will appear in the nightly builds shortly after it is committed. An official release with this in it is a ways away yet. I expect I'll have some time early next week to do some testing. But I am attending CES at the end of the week which means I may not finish till the week after.
tommy2016

Post by tommy2016 »

@JohnAStebbins: That is fine, I was just curious. Thank you for working on this as it will help me and undoubtedly others as well.

Have a great time at CES and best wishes for the New Year! :)
oberlaie

Post by oberlaie »

Hello,

I just would like to add me to this request here and suggest you allow negative values for cropping to add black bars and receive exact 16/9 aspect ratio.

The reason is that I (and all other german, dutch and swiss customers of UPC cablecom) have a "horizon" tv box which supports DLNA and plays movies nicely except it stretches everything it gets over DLNA to HD fullscreen 1920x1080 (16/9). I know I can convert my movies with ffmpeg and use a padding video filter (and did so recently) but handbrake works a lot faster than ffmpeg (3x at full HD) with the Intel Quicksync option enabled. I tried the older ffmpeg build with Quicksync support as well but it was awfully slow compared to handbrake.

Thanks a lot and greetings from Germany,
Thomas
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

oberlaie wrote:Hello,

I just would like to add me to this request here and suggest you allow negative values for cropping to add black bars and receive exact 16/9 aspect ratio.

The reason is that I (and all other german, dutch and swiss customers of UPC cablecom) have a "horizon" tv box which supports DLNA and plays movies nicely except it stretches everything it gets over DLNA to HD fullscreen 1920x1080 (16/9). I know I can convert my movies with ffmpeg and use a padding video filter (and did so recently) but handbrake works a lot faster than ffmpeg (3x at full HD) with the Intel Quicksync option enabled. I tried the older ffmpeg build with Quicksync support as well but it was awfully slow compared to handbrake.

Thanks a lot and greetings from Germany,
Thomas
Have you tried the nightly build?
oberlaie

Post by oberlaie »

rollin_eng wrote:Have you tried the nightly build?
Hello rollin_eng,

thank you for the quick reply, I just downloaded the "af25ef9" nighly build but it looks the same to me as the 0.10.5 version as far as the "picture" and "filter" pages are concerned. Thanks again for your attention and support.

Kind regards and happy easter,
Thomas.
oberlaie

Post by oberlaie »

p.s. rolling to my snooker club now to watch Germany vs. England ... hoping for a great match and may the better team win ;)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The Pad filter is available only on the CLI of the nightlies.
oberlaie

Post by oberlaie »

Ah OK, thanks I will try it out.