File icon image selection tool

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

jmacuk

Post by jmacuk »

I would like to be able to select a preferred frame for the file desktop icon, rather than the first frame in the m4v. Currently have to find a frame, copy & paste it into the file info. Not a hardship, but it would be nice if there were some option built-in.

version of HandBrake are you currently running: 0.10.2

operating system OSX 10.10.4
Deleted User 13735

Re: File icon image selection tool

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

That's an operating system procedure using a grabbed frame and Finder from what I can determine. The initial choice belongs to OSX, not handbrake, and you couldnt change it anyway until it was done.

I would be surprised if Handbrake has any interest in writing to your Mac shell other than during initial installation. Just my guess.
jmacuk

Post by jmacuk »

Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Well, they "do" look at all code patches submitted here . . .
kpflugshaupt
Novice

Post by kpflugshaupt »

jmacuk wrote:File icon image selection tool

I would like to be able to select a preferred frame for the file desktop icon, rather than the first frame in the m4v. Currently have to find a frame, copy & paste it into the file info. Not a hardship, but it would be nice if there were some option built-in.

version of HandBrake are you currently running: 0.10.2

operating system OSX 10.10.4
I usually add meta data to my converted movies using Subler. Once a title image has been added to the file (automatically from FreeDB, if the movie is found), OSX will display this as file icon. This works for me when working with m4v/mp4 containers only -- mkv containers just display a generic mkv icon.

This makes IMO more sense than picking a more-or-less random frame from the movie. I suggest you try it out.

(You can always copy/paste any title picture to the file using Subler, if you prefer something else).

Cheers
Kaspar
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

We don't add artwork, in which case the Finder displays something random.

How do you suggest we pick a frame to encode as artwork, keeping in mind HandBrake is a 100% offline application (internet being accessed for update checks only)?
jmacuk

Post by jmacuk »

kpflugshaupt wrote:
jmacuk wrote:File icon image selection tool

I usually add meta data to my converted movies using Subler. Once a title image has been added to the file (automatically from FreeDB, if the movie is found), OSX will display this as file icon. This works for me when working with m4v/mp4 containers only -- mkv containers just display a generic mkv icon.

This makes IMO more sense than picking a more-or-less random frame from the movie. I suggest you try it out.

(You can always copy/paste any title picture to the file using Subler, if you prefer something else).
Thanks! I'll check it out.
jmacuk

Post by jmacuk »

Rodeo wrote:We don't add artwork, in which case the Finder displays something random.

How do you suggest we pick a frame to encode as artwork, keeping in mind HandBrake is a 100% offline application (internet being accessed for update checks only)?
I was thinking of some kind of filmstrip, with frames grabbed from the first 30 seconds or whatever. Select a frame and it gets encoded as the file icon.

In the meantime, I'm going to look into Kaspar's suggestion.

Thanks!
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Sound like a PITA to code, sorry. Keep in mind this project is entirely staffed by volunteers, and we generally prefer to work on stuff that's not annoying to implement :P
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

"annoying" and features that will end up bloating the app.

Remember, HandBrake isn't aiming to be everything for everyone. If it was, few would use it as it'd be horrible.