Audio and Subtitle names

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

soundlive

Audio and Subtitle names

Post by soundlive »

Hello,
first of all: many thanks to all Handbrake developers, great job! :-)

I would like to ask for a feature improvement. Here is the idea...
I got a BluRay-Disc with the following components:

Video:
  • Main movie
Audio:
  • Main Audio, DTS, German
  • Main Audio, DTS, English
  • Directors commentary, Stereo, English
  • Actors commentary, Stereo, English
Subtitle:
  • Main Subtitle, German
  • Forced Subtitle, German
  • Directors commentary, German
  • Actors commentary, German
With handbrake I can make a perfect MKV-file including all these video, audio and subtitle tracks. In VLC-player it looks like this:

As you can see, it is hard to choose the correct audio and subtitle track, because they got no description (e.g. "Directors commentary").
Here I use mkvmerge GUI, to edit the "Track name" of the audio and subtitle tracks:

Then it looks pretty well in VLC-player or other players like Kodi:

The improvement is to add a feature to be able to directly set the track name within Handbrake, e.g. something like this:
Image Image

What do you think about the idea? Is someone able to add this feature?
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Re: Audio and Subtitle names

Post by moneymatt4life »

... you can already set audio track names in handbrake :? that's what the "show" button is for... if it's not showing up in VLC, then we'll need an encode log and VLC version to see what's happening...

but yeah, handbrake can't set subtitle track names yet... i think someone said it's on their to-do list or something, but i think it's a lower priority thing currently... otherwise it'll happen when it happens...

EDIT:
also, i'd suggest against using AAC(avcodec) :P use AAC(FDK) instead ;)
soundlive

Post by soundlive »

Ohh damn, the "show" button. I'm feeling so stupid now :(
Thanks moneymatt4life!

After I've posted this feature request I've seen the "Remove AAC (libavcodec)"-request and so I've read about the libavcodec "issues". Thanks for that hint!
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

The only thing that you need to know though, is that the FDK Encoder can throttle your encode (/be a bottleneck for your whole encode), because it is single-threaded only as far as I know, but the quality is way superior to libav at the moment
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

thought the compiler optimizations took care of most of the slowness? :? and aren't all audio encoders essentially single threaded? the ones i use are(or seem to be... i know at least QAAC can set decoding/DSP to a separate thread, but that's as far as it goes from what i can tell)
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

I don't know, but that is what I heard in this forum, I thought the optimizations were mostly for a variable bitrate
Now I would like to know as well, how the FDK encoder is doing atm.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Djfe wrote:I don't know, but that is what I heard in this forum, I thought the optimizations were mostly for a variable bitrate
Now I would like to know as well, how the FDK encoder is doing atm.
No, the configure script is stupid and turns *all* speed optimizations off when the CFLAGS variable is set, you have to re-enable them manually. The bugfix is in the nighlites and will be in 0.10.2 as well.

It's a lot less likely to bottleneck anymore, it turns out with optimizations on it's almost as fast as libavcodec's AAC encoder.
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

And what about multi-threading? is libav's aac encoder multi-threaded?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Not as far as I know. I don't know of any threaded audio encoder; IIRC FFmpeg has some threading code for some of their audio decoders. Not sure it's all that useful, but I could be wrong.