Improved Closed Caption handling

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

WhosAsking

Improved Closed Caption handling

Post by WhosAsking » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:14 pm

First, I would like to compliment the idea of implementing libass to make your Closed Caption subtitles positional, making them truer to their roots.

I am proposing possible adjustments to your CC support, taking advantage of libass. These can be made into options, selectable at the user's discretion.
  • First, you still currently use a proportional font for the CC subtitles. Since CC in their raw form use a fixed-width font, it might be useful to have this as an option, perhaps using font scaling parameters so that the position of the subtitle would better match that as seen on an actual TV. If necessary, one can attach a free-to-use fixed-width font (like Deja Vu Sans Mono) to an MKV file and have the subtitle track refer to it.
  • Another option is to use an alternate subtitle style. Your style is more typical for subtitles, but the ASS style set allows for using a solid-color background (in this case, black) for the subtitles, which is again closer to how CC is displayed on a real TV.
  • One last request, a minor one and not related to libass. Matroska files allow not just the audio but also the subtitle tracks to have names. You might wish to allow the option to name subtitle tracks. In particular, even if you don't expand this as a user option, it might be convenient to use this ability to insert a "Closed Captions" label on CC subtitle tracks placed in MKV files.

JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Improved Closed Caption handling

Post by JohnAStebbins » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Bookmarked. But not high on my priority list, so don't hold your breath ;)

WhosAsking

Post by WhosAsking » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:22 pm

I'll accept that for now. At least I was heard. In any event, the key provision is that CC positions are now preserved. I can experiment with them using AegiSub at a later date to see how they can look with my ideas in mind.

UPDATE: I extracted one recently-made CC tracks and used Aegisub to adjust the default style to use Deja Vu Sans Mono and an Opaque Box with an outline color of pure black. I then added \h hard spaces at the start (after italicization if necessary) and end of each text as well as around each \N hard newline. The end result was remarkable: just about a dead ringer for the real deal.

(Attached is a screenshot from the episode I experimented with, an episode of The Dukes of Hazzard. The "closed caption" you see is the result of the ASS style. The only textual edits made were to add the spacing at the beginning and end of each line.)

PS. Here's the style section I ended up with for the record (also, this removes the need for the constant \a1 override--it sets it by default here):
[V4+ Styles]
Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
Style: Default,DejaVu Sans Mono,31,&H00FFFFFF,&H00FFFFFF,&H00000000,&H000F0F0F,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0,3,2,0,1,20,20,20,0

Even if this isn't taken up anytime soon, I'd prefer to have this information posted as useful stuff for when it does get taken up. Again, thank you for your consideration.

JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:54 pm

Just reviewing my bookmarked TODO list. Item 1 above has been addressed. CC subs now use Courier New font and are monospace.

The other items are still on the todo list.

WhosAsking

Post by WhosAsking » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:59 am

Just so you know, the Deja Vu series of fonts are public domain so are free to use. You can use Deja Vu Sans Mono and then attach it to the MKV to ensure it's viewable the same way no matter where it goes (including systems that don't have a Courier font). Just noting.