Subfolder queueing (WinGUI)

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Marsu42

Subfolder queueing (WinGUI)

Post by Marsu42 »

I'm usually converting small video clips located in subfolders, and it is rather annoying to open each and every folder one at a time. Actually I'm quite lost that there seems to be no way to achieve this w/o hassle, I imagine this to be a common scenario? Unless I'm missing a functionality here, I'd like to request:

1. When selecting Source->Folder, there should be an option to queue files in subfolders (or an additional icon "Subfolders" next to "Folder" and "File" now).

... and/or ...

2. When *multiple* folders are dropped into the Handbrake GUI (Windows), not only the files of just *one* folder should be queued, but all files. Actually the current behavior seems rather erratic, even buggy as you don't know what folder is queued (first? last?). This is already mentioned here, though the feature request is misleading because it's just about drag'n drop: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29687&p=138286&hil ... rs#p138286

Thanks for the great program and for considering these requests!
azeunkn0wn

Re: Subfolder queueing (WinGUI)

Post by azeunkn0wn »

+1

I need this. since my DigiCam give me uncompressed .MOV files videos.
It's time to compress all videos and convert to mp4 so we can watch it on our TV via USB.
I have lots of subfolders in my Family Pics and vids, so i need HandBrake to scan folders and subfolders, batch process all scanned Videos, convert, and save the mp4 file to their source.
wohlstand

Post by wohlstand »

This would be an extremely nice Feature. I Need the program in the same Scenario as @azeunknOwn.

1. I choose a Folder and have a check box (x) parse recursive
2. Checkbox "save files in original Folders"
3. Checkbox "preserve file dates and time"

Why Point three? If you have a collection of media like Video-Files it is very helpful, if you save the original file dates because it Shows you, at which time the file was recorded. Maybe I built a fork with this Features. If anybody has interest, please send me an info.
oneWilliams

Post by oneWilliams »

+1
Here looking for the same feature/function.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Is the README before suggesting a feature still up to date?
README before suggesting a feature wrote:If a request already exists, you do not need to "+1" it. Features included in HandBrake are driven by developer interest and not user demand.
Hmmm... I wanted to ask for this feature too so I guess that since it was asked more than once before I must come to conclusion that developer interest is not there? :?
azeunkn0wn wrote:I have lots of subfolders in my Family Pics and vids, so i need HandBrake to scan folders and subfolders, batch process all scanned Videos, convert, and save the mp4 file to their source.
Exactly for this same reason, which must be a common one. :wink:
README before suggesting a feature wrote:If HandBrake doesn't fit your needs, you may find other software that can fill the gap in the mean time.
Anyone have suggestions? :roll:
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

A trivial shell script wrapper to recurse the directory tree and encode as you'd like?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Sometimes not a lack of developer interest but a lack of developer time. Given the small amount of free time I have to work on the project these days, My todo list is about 4 years long. The other 2~3 active developers are the same.

There is a lot to do, and many things in the queue in front. So, better batching / ux / ui round that is on the queue, it just may not happen soon.