add 10bit

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

player

add 10bit

Post by player »

Hi
please add x264 10bit and setting for subsampling chroma for example 4:2:2 :mrgreen:
thank for attention
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Re: add 10bit

Post by GregiBoy »

Why?
player

Post by player »

GregiBoy wrote:Why?
thank for reply
for rich more quality with same storage than 8bit 4:2:0
my movie source is 10bit with 4:2:2

i hate megui and i love handbrake nightly :D
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

While I would agree 10bit x264 produces better results, it's a somewhat a niche feature that wouldn't justify the need for having separate builds of HandBrake to support.
Even so, the results we are seeing from x265 are very promising. Probably better to invest there rather than 10bit x264
player

Post by player »

your answer is so good
thank so much
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Though technically 4:2:0, Hi10P (RF 0) in Handbrake is so close to 4:2:2 you can barely distinguish it from the real thing. And no banding I can detect.
I ran my tests using Belle-Nuit, which has very clear resolution and chroma subsampling indicators.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I would actually like to add 4:2:2 support someday. I've been slowly adding the features to HandBrake's encoding pipeline that would be necessary to propagate 4:2:2 from the decoder to the encoder. But there is much to do still. *All* the filters are essentially hard coded for 4:2:-0 still. It's a big job to fix this. So don't hold your breath.
Deleted User 13735

10 bit 422 from Handbrake would be a boon for prosumer types who don't necessarily want to twiddle with AVISynth scripts.
A niche application of the software, I know . . .
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

What about chroma subsampling 4:4:4 and it's specific codec profile?
Deleted User 13735

Why?
Hi444pp is not a delivery format; 4:2:2 is just emerging as one, thus the interest here.
10 bit YUV 4:4:4 is intended for acquisition and intermediate use. Really big files.
All XAVC cameras are still 4:2:2, and anyone wanting 4K 4:4:4 will be using RAW.
sanmadjack

Post by sanmadjack »

Just throwing my two cents in, 10-bit encoding would be awesome, though I am more interested in support for it with h265 than I am for h264. Either way, great software and thanks for all the work!
varity

Post by varity »

Would love to see 10bit encoding here too.
Using handbrake for a long time now and i am so happy with this software, i only miss 10bit encoding :-(
kuchikirukia

Post by kuchikirukia »

s55 wrote:While I would agree 10bit x264 produces better results, it's a somewhat a niche feature that wouldn't justify the need for having separate builds of HandBrake to support.
Why would you need separate builds? Just include the 10 bit encoder and add a button that switches to it or add it as its own codec entry in the drop-down.
MeGUI includes both versions and:

That's all it takes.

10 bit gives better compression while giving higher quality. There's a reason fansubbers switched to it years ago.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

HandBrake links to libx264, it does not call an external executable. libx264 can not support both 8 and 10 bit simultaneously. You have to build libx264 for either 8 or 10 bit. We could probably create 2 separate shared libraries of libx264 and dynamically load the one that is needed at run-time, but it's a PITA. Patches welcome.
Deleted User 13735

There's a reason fansubbers switched to it years ago.
You might want to read the forum rules, #3 is worth a look.

There are some advantages to encoding 10 bit intermediates, of which Handbrake now supports a few as input, but the reasons cited on those blog pages are 99% bogus.

Re-encoding 8 bit or analogue source in 10 bits adds neither compression nor quality, just time.
tanstaafl
Patches welcome.
kuchikirukia

Post by kuchikirukia »

JohnAStebbins wrote:HandBrake links to libx264, it does not call an external executable.
I know. So... why?

Does GIMP cram all their plugins into a single DLL? If they did I'd need 4 years and $30,000 worth of programming classes to delete the ones I don't need and get my startup to under a second. But they didn't do it that way, so I can manage them individually as an end-user and do so.

Does MeGUI cram all their encoders into a single DLL? If they did I'd need 4 years and $30,000 worth of programming classes to grab an updated one. But they didn't do it that way, so I can grab them off the 'net as needed.

If I want to use one of the 10 bit x264 builds sitting right here with Handbrake... well, I can't just use the drag-and-drop method that's been around for 30 years, now can I? So, that's a missing feature in design that's directly led to a deficiency in content, as if we had files we could work with we'd already have a Handbrake that could do Hi10P as people would be replacing the 8 bit executable with the 10 bit ones.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I repeat, patches welcome.
Deleted User 13735

Lacking integral 10 bit source, this is a nearly useless feature request. A few editors would use it correctly; given the reference to Anime source, kuchikirukia is not among them. So I agree, by all means use MeGUI :?

To be clear, I support 10 bit encoding in Handbrake eventually, which would still serve only a very narrow slice of the user base. Most of the reasons being offered here and on the internet are entirely meaningless to either hobbyists or consumers. That will remain true until we're all acquiring (and playing back) 10 bit source.

8 bit encode from 8 bit full range source.

10 bit encode from 10 bit source.

10 bit encode from 8 bit source. The gaps you see are empty bits, and lots of them (banding).
Patches welcome.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I know. So... why?
There are 2 approaches you can take.
- Loosely integrated apps which use one or more command line apps. More often than not, it's done out of ease and speed of development.
- Integrated approaches like HandBrake. We have full control over the pipeline after decode to encode. So we can track things like monitoring audio getting out of sync and make corrections. We have consistency and stability that you don't get using arbitrary versions of underling libraries and tools. (We've already seen people try make HandBrake work with dynamic libraries, and they failed miserably. It became extremely unstable.)

Either way, there are pros and cons to both approaches.

Frankly, if your the sort of person that likes to tinker with every little thing, and start mucking around with underlying libraries etc, then HandBrake is not the tool for you. HandBrake is more aimed at people who need more power than some of the wizard/simple encoders, but don't need something as complicated as memcoder.

Does GIMP cram all their plugins into a single DLL? If they did I'd need 4 years and $30,000 worth of programming classes to delete the ones I don't need and get my startup to under a second. But they didn't do it that way, so I can manage them individually as an end-user and do so.

Does MeGUI cram all their encoders into a single DLL? If they did I'd need 4 years and $30,000 worth of programming classes to grab an updated one. But they didn't do it that way, so I can grab them off the 'net as needed.
Fact is, you should only be updating libraries if the developers of the application vet or provide them. Doesn't matter what app we are talking about, but just dropping in arbitrary versions of plugins can cause all kinds of problems.
If we ever implement a plugin architecture, it won't allow you to just drop-in any old x264.dll It'll validate it's certified first. It's a total support nightmare otherwise.
If I want to use one of the 10 bit x264 builds sitting right here with Handbrake... well, I can't just use the drag-and-drop method that's been around for 30 years, now can I? So, that's a missing feature in design that's directly led to a deficiency in content, as if we had files we could work with we'd already have a Handbrake that could do Hi10P as people would be replacing the 8 bit executable with the 10 bit ones.
Even if you did have the ability to drop in a 10bit x264 dll, you''d get no benefit from it at the moment anyway as musicvid has already shown. You need 10bit source, 10bit decode support, 10bit pipeline and 10bit encoder.
kuchikirukia

Post by kuchikirukia »

musicvid wrote: 10 bit encode from 8 bit source. The gaps you see are empty bits, and lots of them (banding).
10 bit is a superset of 8 bit. It's not missing the any of the 16.7 million colors, it adds 1.057 billion more.
Deleted User 13735

Nope. It does neither. It adds air.
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

it only adds air if the source is 8bit
if the source is 10bit then it keeps more information (more then just 8bit)

if you don't want to keep it to save space, then you can use 8bit of course

but converting 8 to 10bit doesn't make much sense as said before
Deleted User 13735

Djfe is correct.
Unfortunately the internet is full of nonsense on this subject, and people still would prefer to believe in alchemy.
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

just read an article about Samsungs new SUHD series:
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio- ... 921/review

the tvs with suhd are not only using quantum dots to increase color accuracy but most importantly support 10bit colors natively
Massaguana
Novice

Post by Massaguana »

There are new´s about 10-Bit? i Think x265 are to new