Auto resume cued items after reboot

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Havor

Auto resume cued items after reboot

Post by Havor »

Could it be possible to have HB auto resume cued items after a restart of the program with a active cue file?
Maybe with a check box in the options.

How it work now.
If the HandBreak encoding cue is interrupted(*), and HB is started again, it ask if it has to resume the cue, and waits on user imput.
(*)power failure/monthly reboot/OS crash/(un)intentional termination of HB/etc etc

How it preferably should work.
If HB is placed in the Startup folder (to keep it simple), and wile starting it detects there is a unfinished cued items it ask the same question, and if there is no user input after lets say 1 or 5min, it auto resumes encoding the unfinished cued items.

Why?
I almost re-encode all my films and downloads, and do all my encodes on my server, so my server is encoding nearly 24/7 on very slow setting, and i really just wane start the batch and forget.

For me as i work in the offshore, and have sometimes very limited or even no access to my home server, some times even for weeks, its a shame if i lose a lot of encode time, just because could not click ''yes'', on the question if i wanted to resume the cue.

Hope it is something that would be seen as a nice idea, and not to hard to implement. :mrgreen:
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: Auto resume cued items after reboot

Post by Smithcraft »

Restarting an encode most likely will not happen, but the rest sounds like a nice iDea.

SC
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

If the queue is interrupted mid-encode, it won't be marked as complete, and re-starting the queue will start that job again… from the beginning. So I don't see an issue with that.

As for a feature that auto-reumes the queue after a timeout, that could be useful indeed.

For the record (it took me quite a while to figure out), it looks like the intended usage is as follows:

- HandBrake is interrupted by the shutdown process

- the computer is rebooted (maybe because of auto-update or some other automatic startup setup)

- HandBrake is started automatically (it's part of the "login items" or their Windows/Linux equivalent)

- computer is unattended, thus the user cannot initiate resuming of the queue

Is that indeed the feature request?
Havor

Post by Havor »

Rodeo wrote:Is that indeed the feature request?
Yes that's the idea, just restart the last item, and resume cue from there.
Havor

Post by Havor »

So, has this function made it to the to-do-list?

From what i understand of programming, this is not that hard to do, at least not compared to the CQ engine. :wink:

But still some one has to do it, and i am pretty sure its not the only item on the to-do-list.

Anyway just asking if it made the list, and if possible the likelihood of it being implemented in the next stable release.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The next release is feature frozen, so no.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Requested features don't go on any todo list. It's down to if there is a developer interested or not. IF there isn't, it doesn't happen until one comes along that is.

Patches would be accepted for this if someone contributes one.

However as mduell points out, 0.10 is feature frozen so it'll be 1.0 sometime later next year before it would hit a stable release, assuming someone contributes it before that freezes.
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

couldn't it be added to https://handbrake.fr/ideas.php ?
it's kinda like a to do list
and gives people that want to contribute to handbrake ideas, what they could work on

if the release is out a lot of people will have forgotten aboutthis request I guess...
Havor

Post by Havor »

*Bump*

Not to nag, but dose any of the Dev's have interest in adding this option, i would welcome it very much.
Havor

Post by Havor »

*Bump*

Its a year later now, so hopefully there is now a dev that likes the idea. ^_^
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

O what the hell. I'm bored :)

Done for Windows https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/ ... ebe18b8f34

So will be in tomorrows nightly.
Havor

Post by Havor »

Your boredom ...., fixed my problem. :D
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Another alternative that may be possible now would be to use the new HandBrakeCLI option --queue-import-file and launch the cli from the Startup folder.