Better Quicksync defaults

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

xooyoozoo

Better Quicksync defaults

Post by xooyoozoo »

While looking through the default settings, I noticed a couple of things that seemed odd in terms of AVC as a codec, not just Quicksync itself.

Keyint: MSDK defaults this to 1 sec. Meanwhile, both x264 and x265 defaults keyint to 10s. Even Youtube only forces an I frame every 5 seconds nowadays. Unless the Handbrake team believes that QS is targeting a dramatically different use case, I think the default key interval should match x264/x265's.

B-frames & B-pyramid: The archetypal AVC frame cadence is IbBbP. Handbrake only uses this with CQP, which itself is only set as default on older CPUs. Otherwise, `constant quality` is the default mode, and Handbrake switches to mpeg2-esque IbbP. Unless something is seriously wrong with ICQ+LA in Quicksync, this looks like a large handicap.

To make sure I'm not making a big deal out of nothing, I did some cursory tests on a ~3 minute clip (2nd chapter of Contagion Bluray). Everything was done using Handbrake 6306svn with no audio and `--quality 24` on a Haswell Pentium G3258. Y-PSNR is used to determine RD ability and roughly estimate perceptual impact. It was calculated through ffmpeg-2.3.3*.

Code: Select all

kbps	   FPS	  Y-PSNR
Default 	              3783.84	57.69	39.89
Key120	                3408.05	53.22	39.83
Key240	                3356.54	52.25	39.82
Key240_ibbbp_pyr1	     3229.78	56.82	39.85
Key240_ibbbp_pyr1_ref4	3132.50	47.30	39.85     (was curious)
As you can see, in this instance, keyint=240:gop-ref-dist=4:b-pyramid=1 made the encode 15% more efficient with basically no effect on encoding speed.

I don't claim that the numbers above are representative of everything under the sun, but I think they show that Intel's MSDK's defaults for Quicksync aren't necessarily optimal for the average Handbrake user. If nothing else, the settings should be reexamined.

*Encoded outputs had an extra frame added at beginning. I manually accounted for this.
WARRZONE

Re: Better Quicksync defaults

Post by WARRZONE »

You say the Youtube keyframe rate is 5, however, Youtube recommends the keyframe rate be 2 or lower. iTunes is 3-10 (depending on video). Blu-ray discs have a GOP of 12 (keyframe rate of .5). 10 is too long. If the options are between 10 and 1, I'll pick 1 for accurate scrubbing, but between 2 and 4 (usually use 2) is my preference, since I use HandBrake to create streamable M4Vs.

I think the efficiency comes from the use of B-frames. It looks like you have a GOP of 4 in that test, which should perform alright. Maybe the reason it's not default is because baseline H.264 cannot have B-frames. I wasn't aware of any advanced options in QuickSync with HandBrake, so thanks for bringing this to my attention.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

@Warrzone -> https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/QuickSyncOptions (not sure it's 100% up to date, but there are a few nobs you can turn. Not nearly as many as x264 though)
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Note that the current settings were recommended by Intel. Since none of the developers have done any extensive testing/optimization of QSV settings, I just went with those. User "gmb" and a few others have posted recommendations elsewhere on the forum if you don't want to go with the defaults.
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

My favoured (quality oriented) settings in Handbrake on my Haswell looks like this

lookahead=1:gop-ref-dist=0:gop-pic-size=0:target-usage=4:lookahead-depth=40:num-ref-frame=0

And importantly Constant quality bitrate mode. It's much better than VBR on Haswell. I also use High H264 profile in Handbrake. With this settings the quality is pretty good (better than x264 preset very fast in basically every video I have tried) and very fast. Very useful for longer videos. It's so much faster than x264.