ALAC 5.1 Audio

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

WARRZONE

ALAC 5.1 Audio

Post by WARRZONE » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:48 am

Add ALAC 5.1 as an option in audio conversion. I don't know of any software that can convert LPCM (WAV) 5.1, FLAC 5.1, DTS-HD MA 5.1, or Dolby TrueHD 5.1 to ALAC 5.1 for example. I know some software can convert FLAC 5.1 to ALAC 2.0, but not 5.1. It would be cool if HandBrake supported multichannel ALAC. I know it's probably not high up on a list of things to do, but being the only program to support multichannel ALAC would be something.

I am just thinking about being able to extract lossless audio from movies and playing it with my iPhone. It would be pretty awesome.
Last edited by WARRZONE on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rodeo
HandBrake Team

Re: ALAC 5.1 Audio

Post by Rodeo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:57 am

Your iPhone would still downmix it to Stereo, however…

moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:02 pm

i tried copying an m4v with stereo alac audio to my ipod touch 4th gen, it wouldn't copy... so unless recent iDevices/iOS7+ added support for video with alac audio, i'm not sure it's possible yet... you can download MeGUI and try a test conversion to see if your iphone can support mp4 with 5.1 alac audio (it uses qaac), but i think it wouldn't work...

WARRZONE

Post by WARRZONE » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:50 am

I know video with ALAC won't play on iDevices. I would have to demux the audio and video to get the audio only. If what Rodeo said about 5.1 ALAC being downmixed to stereo is true (I was thinking AirPlay, not phono plug), then I guess it is useless anyway. There is no way for me to try it since there are no programs I know of that can convert it. I guess it's because while ALAC 5.1 is technically possible, there really aren't many devices that can play it. I guess someone who has an Apple TV could test it. I wish Apple devices could just play FLAC. Things would be so much simpler.