Need embed subtitles

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

rahul1986

Need embed subtitles

Post by rahul1986 »

Hello sir,Your Handbarake awesome...But main features missing

1.embed subtitles -- In this time we can add subtitle..but after conversion the videos,if we play with media players like vlc,there we cant see subtitle.we need manually do switch subtitle track on in all media players.. Normally the subtitle disabled..
I mean your software not write as embed subtitles ..thats the main problem

2.Target size-- Hello sir,please add target file size or output limit in your next release

All Other very good & enough
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Need embed subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

Target size was removed some time ago - and there are several current topics here explaining why it wasn't workable, and why it was removed.

Subtitles are going to depend upon what type subtitles you have, and what type file you generate. Subtitles from Bluray disks are in a format that cannot be used in MP4 files. And, in strict compatibility mode, DVD subtitles are not compatible, either, but older versions of Handbrake used a MP4 library that used a non-standard extension to allow DVD VOB subtitles to be added. The current MP4 library does not use that extension, apparently.

If you want subtitles that can be turned on and off, you generally need to use MKV files, or start with text-based subtitles, rather than the image-based subtitles found on DVD and BD.
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

1. you just need to check the checkbox default for the subtitle entry that you want to play by default on the subtitle page
you could use vidcoder if you want to burn in subtitle into the videostream

2. If you need this function use Vidcoder or an older version, because it got removed on purpose I think because you cannot really "predict" file sizes because the bitrate can vary drastically
hopefully someone can point this out further/link to a similar thread were this got explained already (or you could use the serach function: target size)
rahul1986

Post by rahul1986 »

Woodstock wrote:Target size was removed some time ago - and there are several current topics here explaining why it wasn't workable, and why it was removed.

Subtitles are going to depend upon what type subtitles you have, and what type file you generate. Subtitles from Bluray disks are in a format that cannot be used in MP4 files. And, in strict compatibility mode, DVD subtitles are not compatible, either, but older versions of Handbrake used a MP4 library that used a non-standard extension to allow DVD VOB subtitles to be added. The current MP4 library does not use that extension, apparently.

If you want subtitles that can be turned on and off, you generally need to use MKV files, or start with text-based subtitles, rather than the image-based subtitles found on DVD and BD.

Sir,Thanks for your reply...

1.Currently I Am Conversion video to .mp4 by handbrake...i have .srt Text subtitle...i need to use this subtitle in my conversion...but the subtitle not show default even when i select default option in handbrake..

So Can you help me in this matter...

2.Which version support embed subtitle?

3.For which format embed subtitle will work,i mean mp4 or mkv ?

I need video converter With embed Subtitle function ...Which Software Will Support This Function..Mainly Dont Lose any quality like Handbrake..
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I believe the newest nightly builds support using SRT subtitles to make switchable subtitles in an MP4 file; Prior to about two months ago, only a few text subtitle files were supported, but that was expanded to include SRT. So, with a nightly build, you could use either format.

I have no personal experience with this, however - I rarely deal with SRT or ASS or whatever.

Image-based subtitles, like DVD VOB and BD PGS, work best with MKV.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Woodstock wrote:I believe the newest nightly builds support using SRT subtitles to make switchable subtitles in an MP4 file; Prior to about two months ago, only a few text subtitle files were supported, but that was expanded to include SRT.
No, SRT passthrough has been supported for a while - the new feature is that SRT subtitles can now be burned-in.