[InProgress] Intel QSV support for H265?

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

AGillham

[InProgress] Intel QSV support for H265?

Post by AGillham »

Is Intel QSV support a possibility for H265? H265 renders are beautiful, but s...l...o....w
Deleted User 13735

Re: Intel QSV support for H265?

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

By the time h265 evolves to mainstream status with consumers and hobbyists, QSV may very well have become a thing of the past.
AGillham

Re: Intel QSV support for H265?

Post by AGillham »

How about GPU support for H265? Intel QSV cranks thru H.264, I thought it would be even more valuable for H.265...
K@mpfH@mster

Re: [InProgress] Intel QSV support for H265?

Post by K@mpfH@mster »

I have read, that intel Skylake will also provide VP8 (and possibly VP9) codec, what about them?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Broadwell brings VP8 decode, but no mention of any encode support. Also no mention of VP9. Not seen anything with Skylake (which is still some ways out) regarding any enhancements past this)

Either way, we can't do anything if the SDK doesn't support it, and it currently doesn't
K@mpfH@mster

Post by K@mpfH@mster »

I have read my information here http://www.cpu-world.com//news_2014/201 ... cture.html

The encoder will be support JPEG, MPEG2, AVC, H264, VP8 and HEVC/H265 standards. It is possible that Intel will add support for encoding/decoding of VP9 video. There will be new video filters as well.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Notice the word possible. They are just guessing at this point with regards to VP9.
VP9

Post by VP9 »

s55 wrote:They are just guessing at this point with regards to VP9.
Is it about me?

Anyway, x265 might be usable in 2020 if not after. But till there I'd like to see an alternative thing to shine more (VP9, YkT, Daala).

Very unlikely, as money is their biggest (if not the only) motivation.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Nope. was talking about the encoder.
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

VP9 wrote:
s55 wrote:They are just guessing at this point with regards to VP9.
Is it about me?

Anyway, x265 might be usable in 2020 if not after. But till there I'd like to see an alternative thing to shine more (VP9, YkT, Daala).

Very unlikely, as money is their biggest (if not the only) motivation.
what is YkT?

I haven't found anything on the web using Google (searched for YkT codec and YkT encoder)
found a lot in russian language though which I don't understand...
VP9

Post by VP9 »

Djfe wrote:what is YkT?
A fictitious codec/project that may not actually exist. If it does that it is just mere coincidence.
K@mpfH@mster

Post by K@mpfH@mster »

Àre there any information about Broadwell or Skylake h264 QSV quality improvments? It is fast, but I would like to have also better quality.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Nope. We won't know until they make chips available to the press and NDA's expire. So long ways off.

If you tune the QS settings currently, you can get reasonable enough quality out of it, but it's quite a bit slower when you do that. So, even if they do improve quality, it won't necessarily be any faster or slower.
Ayoross
Novice

Post by Ayoross »

Intel HD Graphics and Iris Graphics support HEVC hardware decoding since driver version 15.33.22.3621.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Which reminds me, HEVC decoding is on my TO-DO list (shouldn't be too hard to implement since the bitstream formatting is similar to H.264, but needs to be implemented and tested nevertheless).

Encoding is also on my TO-DO list, but will remain in the nightlies for the time being (same for x265).
K@mpfH@mster

Post by K@mpfH@mster »

I also would like to see MPEG 2 QSV encoding
Smackos

Post by Smackos »

Hi, is there any progress on 1080p HEVC (8bit) Hardware encoding for Haswell 4400 onwards?

https://communities.intel.com/mobile/mo ... s%2F319932

Would love to see this made available (if possible). I do realise however it is one thing to ask for pie in the sky features, and a whole other thing trying to implement them. Thanks for all your hard work on HB.

Mat
Deleted User 11865

Smackos wrote:Hi, is there any progress on 1080p HEVC (8bit) Hardware encoding for Haswell 4400 onwards?

https://communities.intel.com/mobile/mo ... s%2F319932
Please read more carefully :P This driver only supports hardware-accelerated decoding of HEVC.
Deleted User 11865

Software-based HEVC encoding via Intel Media SDK may land in the nightlies soonish, but only because it helps pave the way for hardware HEVC encoding. Not sure when the latter will be available, sorry.
Smackos

Post by Smackos »

Rodeo wrote:Software-based HEVC encoding via Intel Media SDK may land in the nightlies soonish, but only because it helps pave the way for hardware HEVC encoding. Not sure when the latter will be available, sorry.
Haha.. Sorry, I thought it worth checking either way.

Even Software based encoding via the Intel Media SDK will be really welcome! Thanks for all your time getting QSV in place full stop, really appreciated.

Regards, Mat.
Deleted User 11865

Smackos wrote:
Rodeo wrote:Software-based HEVC encoding via Intel Media SDK may land in the nightlies soonish, but only because it helps pave the way for hardware HEVC encoding. Not sure when the latter will be available, sorry.

Even Software based encoding via the Intel Media SDK will be really welcome!
If you're willing to pay for the ($3,999) Intel® Media Server Studio Professional Edition, then sure, you'll welcome it ;)

Otherwise you'll have to wait until hardware-accelerated HEVC encoding support lands in Intel's drivers (and, possibly, upgrade your hardware, since we don't know whether Haswell or even Broadwell will support encoding HEVC).
Smackos

Post by Smackos »

Rodeo wrote:
Smackos wrote:

Even Software based encoding via the Intel Media SDK will be really welcome!
If you're willing to pay for the ($3,999) Intel® Media Server Studio Professional Edition, then sure, you'll welcome it ;)

Otherwise you'll have to wait until hardware-accelerated HEVC encoding support lands in Intel's drivers (and, possibly, upgrade your hardware, since we don't know whether Haswell or even Broadwell will support encoding HEVC).
:mrgreen: Maybe not then! :lol:
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

Skylake is likely to support hardware based encoding and decoding of HEVC so the driver update will probably be released before/on the IDF August 2015
tlindgren
Bright Spark User

Post by tlindgren »

Djfe wrote:Skylake is likely to support hardware based encoding and decoding of HEVC so the driver update will probably be released before/on the IDF August 2015
Yeah, I don't think they've officially confirmed it but most of the tech press thinks it will and based on timing it does seems fairly likely even if the direct predecessor doesn't even have a HW HEVC decoder ("Hybrid decode", IE a combination of driver software and fixed function HW).

It also remains to be seen if the first encoder implementation will be useful (not a given!), and how long it takes for Skylake to be available in large quantities, the roll-out is never instantaneous and Broadwell (the predecessor) is having a VERY slow roll-out. Skylake roll-out could be faster as a "tock" (IE same process as Broadwell) but it's not a given.
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

well broadwell will be only out for two months or something because they had a large unexpected delay in their research, which Skylake hadn't
->therefore they pretty much come out at the same time

broadwell probably wouldn't even be sold out if they hadn't made promises to their customers, that there would be a new better CPU for their socket... (it's mostly interesting for notebooks: the core m for mobile devices)