Provide Warning for Files Larger than 4gb

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Haravikk

Provide Warning for Files Larger than 4gb

Post by Haravikk »

Okay, so I mostly work with files that come out well below 4gb, but I very occasionally encounter ones that will go over. While some of these seem to work fine (e.g - ones that hit 4.7gb rarely have problems), others won't work at all unless the Large file size option is selected.

Anyway, what I'd like to suggest is that when adding an item to the queue (or starting it immediately, if the queue is empty), then Handbrake should provide a warning reminding the user of the file's size, and the options they may wish to set. It would only do this if the file is over 4gb and the Large file size option isn't set, just to serve as a reminder that it may be worth enabling.

I know it's my own fault, but this ought to help avoid lengthy encodes being wasted when the resulting file won't work.
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Provide Warning for Files Larger than 4gb

Post by TedJ »

This would be possible if you were using ABR encoding but it's impossible to predict the file size of your output file when using CRF, which is the preferred method and is utilised in all HandBrake presets.

Fortunately we are in the process of replacing our mp4 writing library with a different library due to licensing issues which has the added bonus of automatically switching to large file size once an encode exceeds 4GB in size.
Haravikk

Post by Haravikk »

Ah, well I wasn't thinking of the output file size; just a warning if the source file is over 4gb, just as a reminder.
However, if you're replacing the mp4 library then this presumably won't be needed, thanks!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

TedJ wrote:This would be possible if you were using ABR encoding
Even then it's tough since HB can't accurately estimate the length in advance (one of the reasons for scrapping target filesize).
Haravikk wrote:Ah, well I wasn't thinking of the output file size; just a warning if the source file is over 4gb, just as a reminder.
Input size has no relation to output size.
Haravikk

Post by Haravikk »

mduell wrote:Input size has no relation to output size.
I'm well aware of that, all I was saying was that if the input file is over 4gb, then there's the possibility the output size will likewise be over 4gb, so I felt it made sense for Handbrake to then remind the user of this in case they haven't set the Large file size option, otherwise they could waste hours of encoding only to end up with a broken file.

But TedJ pointed out this is moot anyway if Handbrake's upcoming mp4 library change allows it to automatically switch to 64-bit or whatever it needs to do once it's about to exceed 4gb in output.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Haravikk wrote:
mduell wrote:Input size has no relation to output size.
I'm well aware of that, all I was saying was that if the input file is over 4gb, then there's the possibility the output size will likewise be over 4gb, so I felt it made sense for Handbrake to then remind the user of this in case they haven't set the Large file size option, otherwise they could waste hours of encoding only to end up with a broken file.
A moot point as you say. But this would be suprememly annoying behavior to anyone using a preset that scales the input down for mobile devices. The output is always significantly smaller than the input for these presets and pretty much never exceeds 4GB. There are a number of other scenarios where this check would just be an annoyance and not at all helpful. It would be quite complex to try to write code to filter out the nusance messages, so it's not something I would attempt, even if the new muxer didn't fix this.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Nearly every single Blu-ray and DVD source would exceed 4GB, for instance. ;)
fervid

Post by fervid »

+1 I am new, so the other post of mine may not show up for a bit, but- I suggested an estimated file size in the statusbar in a comment in another post. I do it manually now looking at the files size in Windows Explorer. It is hard to tell early on, but maybe every 10% it estimates the final file size to let you know if you need to abort the process. On rare occasion I've had some though that I estimated would be too big and still made it within a few MB or several hundred MB to spare. You never know. Darker scenes, animation, and end credits compress better while black and white grainy things can be larger than the original source.
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

For the quality setting estimation might not be possible,
but if you choose a file size over 4gb or set the average bitrate to a value that makes the file size exceed 4gb then there should be a notification/error/abort
(average bitrate/s*runtime of the movie=estimated file size)

EDIT: scrap what I just said (should have read the whole thread first)
->so length estimation might not always be possible but the new mp4 library will be able to switch automatically anyways, so no issue here for me, once the library is implemented 8)
looking forward to the new mp4 library :)
Hanbrakeur
Experienced

Post by Hanbrakeur »

I personally always enable the "Large File Size" flag.