Burn CC 608/708 enhancement

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

PaulF
Novice

Burn CC 608/708 enhancement

Post by PaulF »

I am very happy to see that the CC 608/708 captions in my recorded transport streams can now be burned. Thank you.

I am wondering if the 608 code can be upgraded from the code based on ccextract to the new decoder VLC uses([vlc.git]/modules/codec/cc.c). The decoder can address the whole screen, change font to italic or different color. The new handbrake burn feature displays italics as <i>Example</i>.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhMEWIb2S4
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Burn CC 608/708 enhancement

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The display of markup was a bug. That is now fixed. https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/6160

Supporting "whole screen" isn't a problem with the decoder, it's a problem with the internal representation used for CC subs in HandBrake's pipeline. We currently translate to SRT which has poor support for positioning of subtitles. There is a patch which fixes this under review https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/716/
PaulF
Novice

Post by PaulF »

I didn't know SRT had mark-up so I learned something, thanks. That patch that switches from SRT to SSA looks like what I am suggesting. I guess I should have waited before making this suggestion. I have had the problem with Beyond TV CC's for many years so I got excited and jumped the gun.
PaulF
Novice

Post by PaulF »

I see the patch was approved and in the nightly build. On PBS's "Masterpiece Mystery!", burning works extremely well. The show uses italics, color and positioning and they all work well and add to the meaning of the caption. The best example is the caption something like "Brought to you by contributors like:". The colon only makes sense if the caption is above the list of contributors on the screen. Thanks again.

Off topic, as in "not your problem": Beyond TV is clipping the picture. I know this because the far left captions are slightly clipped. Now I am upset that I have this nice 1080p TV and BTV has been stretching the videos slightly instead of displaying pixel to pixel. I am guessing the quality must also suffer some. I adjusted anamorphic and cropping in handbrake with no luck.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

PaulF wrote:Off topic, as in "not your problem": Beyond TV is clipping the picture. I know this because the far left captions are slightly clipped. Now I am upset that I have this nice 1080p TV and BTV has been stretching the videos slightly instead of displaying pixel to pixel. I am guessing the quality must also suffer some. I adjusted anamorphic and cropping in handbrake with no luck.
Can you describe what you mean here a little better? Do you mean that after transcoding the video with HandBrake and burning in the CC subs, some of the CC are clipped by the edge of the screen?

If this is what is happening, then it may be a problem with the amount of "safe" area I reserved around the edge of the video. I followed the recommendations in the CC specifications, but some TVs may have a larger amount of overscan and I may need to pad it a little extra.
PaulF
Novice

Post by PaulF »

Overscan! I forgot all about that from the olden days of analog TVs. BTV added provision for selecting HD codecs, but I bet they still compensate for overscan,. I posted description on the BTV forum.

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55938 I used win 7 screen skip so I guess you can count pixels on the two full screen snips. It is just a few pixels of the caption.
PaulF
Novice

Post by PaulF »

I was able to turn off cropping in Beyond TV and now the burned in 708 captions are "a thing if beauty and a joy to behold" :D