Support for EDL

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

apopo

Support for EDL

Post by apopo »

Hello

I've been looking for a video encoder that is able to encode the stuff I record on TV. However, that stuff comes with pre-recorded video (you never know how late your show is going to be aired) and post recorded video (cause you never know how late...). Also, I prefer my videos commercials-free.
So I use comskip. It generates EDL files that tell video players where in the video to begin, what parts to skip, etc.
The only encoder I know that supports EDL is mencoder. Then again, since it ignores them in my experience, there is none.
Handbrake has start and end options. It does part of the job, but won't let me cut in the middle of the video. So here are my suggestions:
* either support EDL files
* or support multiple start and stop options
You'll be right to point out that I can read EDL files myself, encode in multiple chunks with the start and stop options, then merge with a program like mkvmerge. It's just less convenient and (probably) more CPU consuming.

Thank you for all your efforts.
Deleted User 13735

Re: Support for EDL

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

I doubt you'll see EDL support in Handbrake, but who knows?

What you want is VideoRedo Plus for mpeg-2, or VideoRedo TVSuite for h264. They're made to cut and join your files, commercial-free, and fix broadcast stream errors at the same time. BTW, auto-generated marker information in VideoRedo can be imported as chapters in Handbrake, with just a little fiddling.
apopo

Post by apopo »

Thank you for your reply. Looking at it right now. It seems to be interesting, except for the part where I have to pay :wink:
I've decided to script it instead, using the workaround mentioned earlier, since the options provided are sufficient to do so.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Let us know how your script turns out
;?)
apopo

Post by apopo »

It kind of works!
It's in Python + handbrake + mkvmerge. Mkvmerge takes near to no time, so I'm gaining time over encoding a whole TV show and then cutting out stuff.
I'll have to field test it a bit more but it's a start. It is very specialized to my install.
If someone is interested, let me know. Then again it looks like we're only 2 on this thread.
phathak

Post by phathak »

I know we're two years later but I'd be interested in testing your script on my install. Let me know if it still exists.

Thank you
WhosAsking

Post by WhosAsking »

What format are your recordings? I personally use the Hauppauge HD PVR which can be configured to produce AVCHD-compliant MPEG2-TS files. These can be handled by libav which means they can be handled by avidemux, a program designed with editing in mind. Since I hate commercials, too, I turn to that to do my editing, and it includes an x264 and aac encoder similar to Handbrakes, so for TV shows I just use avidemux instead of Handbrake.